45 replies to this topic

#1 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:04 AM

- Thank you to ALL members who have contributed reviews, articles, photographs and information -

Zia
post Jul 9 2008, 12:30 PM

Something WICKED is about to ........ happen guys,

We read the rumours,
We saw the Official Release ...

user posted image

Followed by weeks of snippets of news, articles, interviews and photos of rehearsals and behind the scenes 'happenings'
Then we were treated to wonderful members reviews of the Preview Shows ....

and NOW THE OFFICIAL OPENING NIGHT IS NIGH!!!!!!! THAT'S RIGHT!

The
user posted image
is almost over ...

The thrill, excitement and pride that we all feel is probably really very hard to put into words. Long time fans of Wicked have waited and hoped for years to see this extravaganza, the world wide successful musical production play in Australia and now excitedly join new found fans in their eagerness to watch Anthony and the whole cast perform in the Melbourne season.

Anthony, we would like to wish you all the very best for Wicked's Opening Night on Saturday and for the duration of your involvement in your role as BOQ. Hope that it is all that you dream for and desire it to be. You are an amazing young man with a zest for life and doing all that you can to achieve goals.

GOOD LUCK and HAPPY TIMES!! from your ACOF fans smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

and to each and every person who are involved with this production, our sincere best wishes too!!

Nonna and Di, I have borrowed some of your previously posted pics, thank you.

The countdown is on! Wicked opens in....
3 Days, 6 hrs, 35 minutes and 25 secs

Zia
post Jul 9 2008, 12:44 PM

Our wish Anthony,

We have no doubts that you will shine on stage in your role, that you will bring something of your own special qualities to your performances and that you will take away from the experience so much learning, wisdom, growth and appreciation; all that will enhance and give strength to both your personal and professional being. You work so hard at giving the best of yourself to everything you do - it is inspiring!!

There are times whenit is difficult coming to terms with just how huge this production is and the fact that the cast had to audition several times before being given their parts makes it all the more of an honour -for you all to be given this once in a life time opportunity - to have your names forever connected with the Australian production of Wicked, of such a huge world wide successful musical. It gives us goosebumps!!

Best wishes Anthony, enjoy the experiences and the friendships that being a part of the 'Wicked family' brings.

Go BOQ!!!!

Zia

#2 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:10 AM

Zia
post May 22 2008, 09:53 AM

user posted image
~~one of the hottest musicals in the world, opening in Melbourne, Australia, 12th July 2008.~~

Hi all, smile.gif

Here is a media thread where we can post clips taken only of televised interviews/shows about Wicked/Anthony/ the Australian Cast.

http://www.aussietheatre.com
(...click on link to Wicked for updates)
http://www.wickedthemusical.com.au (...website)
http://www.anzwicked.com (...interactive website)
http://www.witchesof...oards/index.php (... click on Wicked in Melbourne)

*Anthony Related Clips* (that is, Anthony appears in the clips)

23-05-08: TodayTonight-BehindtheScenesofWicked -Di

Wicked Promo from W Channel Foxtel (... Anthony and Rob Guest) -Di

SHORT VERSION
New ad for Up close & Personal (... Snippets of Lucy, Amanda, Rob and Anthony singing) -Di

LONG VERSION
Longer ad for Up Close & Personal (... Snippets of Lucy, Amanda, Rob and Anthony singing) -Di

25-06-08: KAK Interview with the Cast of Wicked (... Lucy, Amanda, Rob, Rob, Anthony) -Di

05-07-08: Foxtel-An Audience with the Cast of Wicked (...Anthony and Rob Mills being interviewed by Rob Guest) -Marianne

05-07-08: Foxtel-An Audience with the Cast of Wicked (...Anthony's performance of 'When You Believe') -Marianne

05-07-08: Foxtel-An Audience with the Cast of Wicked (...Question time with Anthony and Rob Mills) -Marianne

02-08-08: Behind the Scenes of Wicked - Andrea
HQ - Just a warning the file sizes are fairly big.

Section 1. 76.44MB 5.33 mins
http://www.mediafire.com/?dhjjdvnyleq

Section 2. 99MB 5.57mins
http://www.mediafire.com/?hjzpaljglqs

Section 3. 70MB 5.30mins
http://www.mediafire.com/?8yudyslqzyd

Section 4. 89.7MB 4.30mins
http://www.mediafire.com/?9njymr2lv9f

Lower quality.

Sections 1 & 2. 95.8MB
http://www.mediafire.com/?bajnhhgwmu5

Section 3 & 4. 88MB
http://www.mediafire.com/?idf9vfh51p5

27-06-09: Audience with The Cast of Wicked Foxtel Advert Right Click and Save as Target - Di

*Other 'Wicked' Related Clips*

22-05-08: Rob Guest Interview with Suzie (...mention of Anthony) -Andrea

22-05-08: Penny McNamee (Nessarose) Interview with Suzie (...mention of Anthony) -Andrea

Wicked Featured on The Shak -thanks to Timbo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"thank you" to the many people who generously provide links to media clips of televised interviews smile.gif

#3 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:12 AM

THE WICKED AUSTRALIA CAST HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED!
6/05/2008 8:25:32 AM

More than 1700 performers around Australia and New Zealand auditioned for eight principal and 24 ensemble roles for WICKED. The auditions were conducted by John Frost and the U.S. creative team, Lisa Leguillo (Associate Director); Stephen Oremus (Musical Supervisor); Mark Myars (Dance Supervisor) and Corinne McFadden-Herrera (Dance Assistant).

The Producers are pleased to announce the Australian Cast of WICKED.

PRINCIPALS
AMANDA HARRISON as Elphaba
LUCY DURACK as Glinda
MAGGIE KIRKPATRICK as Madame Morrible
ROB GUEST as The Wizard
ROB MILLS as Fiyero
ANTHONY CALLEA as Boq
PENNY McNAMEE as Nessarose
RODNEY DOBSON as Dr Dillamond

Story of WICKED
Long before Dorothy dropped in, two other girls meet in the Land of Oz. One, born with emerald-green skin, is smart, fiery and misunderstood. The other is beautiful, ambitious and very popular. How these two unlikely friends end up as the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch makes for the most spellbinding new musical in years.

WICKED, the untold story of the witches of Oz, features music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz (Godspell, Pippin, Academy Award? winner for Pocahontas and The Prince of Egypt) and book by Winnie Holzman ("My So Called Life," "Once And Again" and "thirtysomething"), and is based on the best-selling novel by Gregory Maguire. With musical staging by Tony Award? winner Wayne Cilento (Aida, The Who's Tommy, How To Succeed...), WICKED is directed by 2003 and 2004 Tony Award? winner Joe Mantello (Assassins, Take Me Out, Frankie & Johnny in the Clair de Lune).

FACTS & FIGURES
? ? ? ? as of April 7, 2008
Having celebrated the 4th Anniversary of its Broadway opening, WICKED?s four North American and three international companies have cumulatively grossed over $950 million and have been seen by over 12 million people worldwide.
NATIONAL
* The New York Times called WICKED ?Broadway?s biggest blockbuster? and just last year, the Times referred to WICKED as ?one of the most successful shows in Broadway history.?
Over 3 million people have seen WICKED on Broadway since it began performances in the fall of 2003.
The Broadway production of WICKED has broken the house record at the Gershwin Theatre eighteen (18) times during the course of its run. It regularly grosses in excess of $1.4 million each week.

-www.wickedthemusical.com.au

Anthony's promotional photo and Anthony and Lucy Durack (Glinda) in Perth, promoting Wicked.

user posted image user posted image

"I have to say that every single person that is on that stage, had to audition extensively. We weren't just given these roles because the Americans didn't know who we were, so they look at your CV and go, 'wow', you've done a great body of work, but do you fit into the mold of Wicked? because it's very special. Penny had 6 call backs, myself 2, Amanda 3 Lucy 4 ....we had to go through this audition process which took 4 months and they went away to America with dvds and they studied them and tried to put it together - it's been a long process before we actually knew who was going to be playing alongside us in the show"
-Rob Guest, interview on ?Suzie?

?And the big thing with Boq the Munchkin is that he could not be over 5'6. He's short and Anthony Callea had to come back five times before he was confirmed.?
?Anthony Callea got a great role as a munchkin, Boq is a wonderful role. But when he sang, wow, but again he had to act. So he had to go through it all to convince a lot of people that he could do it. I think it was a huge thing for a young man like him to come from that high profile and wealth. They make a lot of money out there in the music world, with concerts and television performances and 'It Takes Two' and all that. It's a lot of money and you don't get that sort of money with musical theatre.?
-AUDITION ADVICE CENTRE with Wicked Casting Director, Barbara Leane
By Evette Henderson

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

#4 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:14 AM

Poppy
post Jun 13 2008, 07:07 PM

The Wicked Website has announced in the News section a new interactive website,www.anzwicked.com.
They mention we will see sneak previews as well. This site could be interesting.

http://www.anzwicked.com

Thank you Lea for the link

#5 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:15 AM

diissee
post May 7 2008, 01:24 PM

http://www.wickedthe...eakingNews.aspx

THE WICKED AUSTRALIA CAST HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED!
6/05/2008 8:25:32 AM

More than 1700 performers around Australia and New Zealand auditioned for eight principal and 24 ensemble roles for WICKED. The auditions were conducted by John Frost and the U.S. creative team, Lisa Leguillo (Associate Director); Stephen Oremus (Musical Supervisor); Mark Myars (Dance Supervisor) and Corinne McFadden-Herrera (Dance Assistant).

The Producers are pleased to announce the Australian Cast of WICKED.

PRINCIPALS
AMANDA HARRISON as Elphaba
LUCY DURACK as Glinda
MAGGIE KIRKPATRICK as Madame Morrible
ROB GUEST as The Wizard
ROB MILLS as Fiyero
ANTHONY CALLEA as Boq
PENNY McNAMEE as Nessarose
RODNEY DOBSON as Dr Dillamond

ENSEMBLE
Anton Berezin
Ross Hannaford
Anthony Costanzo
Todd Hampton
Ryan Sheppard
Danial J Brown
James Smith
Lockhart Brownlie
Michael Snell
Romina Villafranca
Deanna O'Leary
Liz Stiles
Christina Tan
Zoe Gertz
Patrice Tipoki
Melanie Hawkins
Ellen Simpson
Johanna Allen
James Maxfield
Glen Oliver
Matthew Hamilton
Emma Delmenico
Suzanne Steele
Suzie Mathers

Standby Elphaba Jemma Stevenson
Standby Glinda Erin Hasan

#6 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

jojop72
28th June, 2008

I just got home. Wished l got to see you after the show Anth but next time I will. I think l just missed you. I got there at the regent at 7.30 pm and bought a programme. They are $20. They also sell mugs and tops; they?re cool. I got to my seat and what can l say - it was a good seat!
The lights went out and ?OH MY GOD?, it was amazing. Anth looked hot in his uniform. I just wished he was on stage more. There were some funny bits they say about wizard of Oz that was good. The whole cast was amazing. Well, if you haven?t got a ticket yet (like Fran said),
GO GET ONE!!
You will be MOVED, BLOWN AWAY, IN THE MOMENT AND LEAVE THERE THINKING YOU WANT TO GO BACK TO SEE IT AGAIN.
Whoever is going, you will enjoy and want to go see it again.
I was like on the edge of my seat, loving every minute of it.

#7 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

mandylovesanth
July 13th, 2008

Last night was amazing. Everyone looked gorgeous. Anth was great, but he is still sick poor boy.
The regent looked fabulous. There was a standing ovation last night at the end. Anth was hilarious, he was cracking everyone up especially when he says, ?OMG you?re touching me? to Glinda.
Here is a photo of me on the green carpet after the show.
When Anth was walking up to the stage door today, he had his scarf over his mouth as he is still sick; poor boy, you can hear it in his voice.

Mandy (mandylovesanth), on the ?Green Carpet?, outside the Regent Theatre.
user posted image

#8 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

Janellehanna
July 14th, 2008

It was great seeing you yesterday. I had the best time. All that laughing! I still have that warm fuzzy feeling I had during the concert. It seemed that all the cast were more relax that the opening is out the way.

I just got back to Adelaide from Melbourne. What can I say? Anthony just blew me away last night. It was my first time I have seen him as Boq. His facial expressions are precious. That scream! I felt his pain. He puts such emotion into his acting that when he is happy you?re happy and when his sad you feel sad.

Some of the cast were still a little husky but Anthony was brilliant even though he isn't 100% well. I had shivers through my body all night. I don't if it was seeing all the cast perform together for the first time or it could have been just seeing Anthony on that stage for the first time.
He just has a way of getting to you. Not a lot of people do that to me. I absolutely love his cheekiness side of Boq. I think it?s his eyes. I followed his movements all night especially in the first half.

I got to meet him twice yesterday. One before the matinee 1pm show and got my first photo with him, thanks to Carol, Mandy and Megs for letting me go first. It was great meeting up with them.

As Fran has said, myself Alissa, Jen and Fran spent about 10mins chatting to Anthony. He seemed in good spirits than before the first show of the day. Still rugged up, but there was plenty of laughs. It was great meeting Alissa and Fran. He still sounded a little nasally but his singing was still out of this world.

I made sure when I saw him early in day that he was definitely performing last night. He said there is no reason why not unless something drastic happens and then just laughed.

I'm still on a high and only managed to get 2hours sleep before jetting out of Melbourne at 6am this morning. I want to see it more. I'm hooked. I have seen it 3 times already but only once with Anthony in it. Every time I see it I find things I have missed from previous shows and still laugh.
I might have to convince my mum to go on a weekend. She loves the program and I can see she wants to see it.

I can see Anthony doing this for a while. I can see he is really enjoying himself.
Sorry this is a long review but I'm so excited even though I?m home.

-

#9 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:04 AM

Diissee
July 21, 2008

Okay, Wicked. I only arrived home late this afternoon so here goes...

I had been listening to the soundtrack for the last few weeks and was glad I did because it all seemed so familiar when watching the show for the first time. The soundtrack is just great and have to say the whole cast is brilliant. I don't think they could have cast a better Elphie and Galinda if they tried. Lucy had me in hysterics; her comic timing is spot on.

The costumes are spectacular and staging, mind blowing. It really is a world class production, cast and crew. I am really proud that Anthony is part of Wicked, he will learn so much from it and the likes of Rob Guest, Maggie and also Amanda and Lucy. Penny (Nessa) is just lovely and I have to agree with Troy Dodds review, they are truly connected.

The story and the music takes you through a gambit of emotions, one minute you?re laughing and the next you?re annoyed, then sad and emotional, and happy and just amazed at the whole spectacle.

ANTHONY

Anthony's part although not a lead role, played a large part in the storyline and plot with the various relationships. He was onstage for quite a big part of Act 1 and again took you through the emotions of someone?s first crush. He played this so well and he got some great laughs, and when Galinda touches him and he was in disbelief, it was so cute and really something everyone could relate to at some time in their life.

I was impressed at his dancing skills with both Nessa and the ensemble cast; the man sure can dance and then the Wicked Witch of The East, a very dramatic scene, with a little humour as well, as he moved through dialogue to singing and back to dialogue, with such ease, it was seamless.

I love the cute little costumes.. and his hats, and I saw him in the opening scene, ?No-one Morns the Wicked?, standing on the balcony with his quilted coat and hat in disguise. Again Anthony, I was impressed with his fear of heights going up and down that ladder.

His voice was just beautiful (Lets Dannnnnnnceee), and really soared and was so smooth and gentle in parts. His facial expressions were priceless. I had binoculars on the second night as I was in row N and was a bit far away to watch their faces without them and he never missed a beat even when he was in the background.

I know Anthony said that in doing musicals and acting he has to forget he's Anthony Callea the singer up there and be the character he is playing, well he has achieved that totally in my opinion.

Anyway I loved the whole show, and Amanda and Lucy, I keep changing my mind which character I like the best and switched backwards and forwards, but come back to they are both equally great as their roles are totally different, but they complimented each other, they are the stars and deserve all the praise and reviews they receive.

The rest of the cast were great as well, Rob Guest, Maggie, Rodney and Rob and I love Penny McNamee, I think was a standout in her part as well.

I saw it 3 times and will see it again, later in the year just to see how the cast have grown into their roles. The standout songs for me were ?For Good?, ?Defying Gravity?, ?Wizard and I? and I just loved the whole ?Popular? scene, Lucy is just so funny, also ?Dancing through Life?.

During the encore, the cast just looked so happy and Anthony and Penny got a rousing applause especially last night. To add to all of this it was a busy and fun weekend, we fitted so much in and didn't get a great deal of sleep, and it was great to see everyone who travelled to Melbourne for a great weekend and Deb, sorry I couldn't catch up with more.

I'm glad you got home safe and sound Pat and have a great time Judi, I know you will love it. (You probably won't see this post until you?re back though as it?s in the spoiler thread )

I will add more as I think of it.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

#10 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

anthem
July 26th, 2008

HOLY FLYING MONKEYS!! I?m back from Antarctica Melbourne! I absolutely LOVE Melbourne but her winter weather and I aren't exactly the best of buddies. Mind you, it?s pretty chilly here too at the moment.

Well, on a far more important and positive note, what can I say that hasn?t been said before about the magnificently wicked, Wicked of Oz, except ?WOO? [if you get my drift ].

From go to whoa, what a superb musical, and the performers are nothing short of brilliant. They?re all so well cast in their roles. I have chronic ?Wicked? withdrawal symptoms at present and I felt really sad about leaving Melbourne when I really wanted to stay to experience many more shows.

The 1st performance I attended, the matinee on Wednesday - Maggie Kirkpatrick?s stand-in, Johanna Allen performed and she was fabulous. The 2nd performance, the Wednesday evening show, Amanda Harrison?s stand-in, Jemma Stevenson performed and she was excellent as well. Her voice, though not as powerful as Amanda?s, was still very good and her acting was first-class.

The full cast performed on Thursday evening, and at this point I want to say that I feel soooooooo blessed that Anthony performed in all 3 shows I attended so I can?t thank you enough for that, Anthony. I know it?s your ?job? to perform in 8 shows a week but with your being ill the week before, I was worried that you may still have felt unwell or had a relapse but you didn?t, well, it didn?t appear as tho? you had - and it was truly sublime to see you perform in all 3 shows, and you are WICKEDLY BRILLIANT as Boq The Tin Man!! I would?ve loved it if the role of Boq included more singing but your solo vocal performances were, as always, very special.

What can I say about Lucy Durack?s portrayal of Glinda except that she is truly a star to watch, now and in the years to come, and both her voice and Amanda Harrison?s voice are wonderful. Amanda?s performance of ?Defying Gravity? before the close of Act 1 was spell-binding.

Rob Guest is a great veteran of the stage and Penny McNamee?s performance was also very good. In fact, imho, there was no criticism at all to be made of anyone who was on the stage at any time, and they are all well-deserving of the accolades they?ve received.

I loved your costumes, Anthony - and Fran, I made sure I looked up to the right as soon as the show commenced so I could see Anthony in his first costume, many thanks for alerting us to that.

The ?Dancing through Life? scene was outstanding, and the costumes are glorious. ?Dancing through Life? is stuck in my brain at the moment so it?s probably high time I listen to ?The Prayer? and ?Go the Distance? again!!

Re audience reaction, I thought the most vocal audience participation of the shows I attended was at the Wednesday matinee. This may have been due in part to the 2 school groups who attended. There were standing ovations by a lot of the patrons at all 3 shows. I think all 3 performances were sold out, definitely the Wednesday and Thursday nights performances were because my LSS saw the sold out sign (or similar) posted at those performances. I arrived half an hour early for each show and I?m glad I did because the foyer was packed out and spilling on to the street at that stage before each performance. At interval in the Wednesday night performance, I noticed that extra seats had been placed at the end of a few of the aisles.

I know there are people who aren't able to attend "Wicked" but for those who have the opportunity to experience this show and don?t embrace the opportunity, they are indeed wickedly WICKED!!

#11 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:07 AM

nonnapat
August 22nd, 2008

I had never been to musical theatre before. I had never been to Melbourne before or flown in a plane before and there is no way I would have done any of those things (as I have done so many other things ) if it wasn't for Anthony. My family is amazed that I want to do these things that I have never done before. They know the reason is Anthony and his amazing, incredible talent.

As much as I really loved everything about Wicked, it?s just such a fantastic, wonderful, amazing production and I was just ?WOW? and blown away by it. Everyone in it was so fantastic and professional. I have to say that Anthony is the main reason that I went to see it and he is the main reason I really would love to go back and see it again and again. I loved every bit of his brilliant performance, although I would have really loved to hear him sing more. Because of Anthony I now love musical theatre.

Another cast member who I felt was just amazing and brilliant was Nessarose. I really loved her.

#12 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

Poppy
November 9th, 2008

Last night I went to see Wicked again. My husband has not seen Wicked before so as my birthday night out we went for dinner next door to the theatre and then to see the show. You would think after the 4th time seeing the show there would not be a lot to say, but there is always something that I see that is different.

When I went to the matinee in October, it was the day that Rob Guest had become ill and I will always say that the performance that day was intense. Last night's performance was different but I can't describe what was different.

As we entered the doors to the theatre, I gave an anxious look at the cast board to see if Anthony's name was displayed. I was so happy to see it there along with all the other main cast members. This is the first time I have been where there hasn't been an understudy. I don't call Rodney an understudy at the moment.
The show was just magical as always. Amanda was simply amazing last night and had the audience in the palm of her hand. I get goose bumps during ?Defying Gravity? and held my breath as she was about to fly, as apparently there have been a few cases lately where the flying has been a problem, but she soared. Amanda's voice is so strong and clear and when she sings ?The Wizard and I? and ?No Good Deed?, she captures your attention. Lucy was funny as usual, although her singing voice sounded slightly croaky last night, especially in the first act. Rob Mills has really grown into his role and I think he is a wonderful Fiyero. I just loved Maggie last night, she gave a commanding performance.

As for Anthony, my eyes just keep following him all the time he is on stage. I love watching him dance as part of the ensemble. I also feel he has added little bits to his role especially when working with Rob in the ?Dancing through Life? sequence. Whether it is a look, or a flick of book, there is a more confident Anthony on stage. In Act 2 when Boq starts singing to Nessarose, for a minute or two I was mesmerised by that voice. It is just so strong and powerful, it radiates across the theatre. He looked so happy during the curtain call and had the biggest smile. It was wonderful to see. Kellie was the musical director last night and the audience gave a warm and rousing round of applause at the end as well.

I loved the show last night again. My husband enjoyed the show very much. He was laughing a lot. My daughter said to me today that she wants to go again so it looks like I will see it again when Bert takes up his role. She also missed Anthony the first time. So hopefully, he will be still in the role. I think working with Bert would be a great experience for Anthony.

One last thing; there was someone sitting in the row in front of us whose face was familiar but couldn't put a name to him. When I got home, I realized that it was Carl Risely from Idol last year. Okay, I think I have rambled enough.

#13 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:09 AM

Poppy
January 5th, 2009

I am back from a wonderful night at the theatre. The show was magical as usual. I was seated in Row M for this performance. It was quite a way back compared to my previous experiences but it was great to see the stage from a different perspective. I was surprised at how clear the sound was as I had read on other forums that the further back you are the sound quality can be a problem but I thought it was fine.

So to Anthony; it was another wonderful performance, very animated. He got the giggles when he was singing to Nessa in Act 2. I can't remember that happening before. Lucy and Amanda also got the giggles during ?Popular?. I am sure Anthony had to wipe tears from his eyes while waiting in line during the encore. Lucy and Amanda gave a speech announcing to the audience that it was Anthony's last show as Boq, saying that he was the comedian and fun. Anthony had scribbled some notes on a piece of paper thanking the cast, the producers, and the American producers. He especially thanked the two incredible girls Amanda and Lucy, Maggie, who was not a day over 21 and the late Rob Guest. He told a few stories about the pranks he played on Bert, mentioned that Kellie who is the mother, holds the cast together and is a beautiful soul, his dresser who made sure he had everything on, Tim and of course the audience who come to the performances. Lucy then introduced the new Boq, Stuart Fisher who came on stage with the enormous spray of flowers for Anthony, it was nearly as big as Anthony.

Overall, it was a great night, slightly emotional, happy and sad. I must say I had heard the Sunday performances are a little relaxed and I would have to agree. I was so glad I was able to see Anthony perform tonight. It was a very reactive audience tonight as well, they loved the show.

Thank you everyone for your reviews. Fran and Carol summed up the evening perfectly. Anthony's performances have gone to the next level. The whole cast were on fire last night. My daughter and her boyfriend noticed a difference in the performances of the whole cast last night and enjoyed it even more than the last time and they only went a couple of weeks ago.

Every time Anthony thanked someone, the theatre would break out into enthusiastic applause. It was just such a warm feeling and a wonderful send off.

Anthony, as you move onto your project, I thank you for rekindling my love for musical theatre. It is a wonderful way to tell a story and take you on a roller coaster ride of emotions. The lady who was next to me nearly fell off her seat when I said I had been six times. I actually can't believe I went so many times although I know it pales into insignificance to other members.

#14 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

seehorse
January 5th, 2009

I was too tired to do a review last night. Sorry for the long review, but I couldn?t stop myself Mandy and I went and tried our luck at the lottery, and surprise, surprise, Mandy's name was pulled out. This was the first time in a long time we had won the lottery, so were very surprised. After the lottery we went to the back stage door and waited for Anthony, as we had a good-bye present for him.

When he arrived he was all smiles (as usual), and we, along with the others who were with us, were able to give him our pressie.

user posted image

We then had photos taken; this was a special photo, as it would be the last one taken with Boq We also got to speak to a lot of the other stars. I must say my 'other' favourites are Lucy, who is so sweet, and asks everyone for their name before signing books, and Amanda, who had her gorgeous little girl and family with her. My other favourites are Zoe, I just think she is the best when I see her on stage, and find it hard to keep my eyes off her (unless Anthony is there), and the other ensemble member, Mike Snell. I can't wait to one day see him play Fiyero I just think he is fantastic, and love, love watching him. Mike actually said to us, that it was a sad day, and that he would miss Anthony.
After a quick lunch, we went in to the matinee; we were dead centre, so it was a great seat. We noticed how the cast had all improved since last time, and noticed quite a few improvements with Anthony. We hadn?t seen him since his return from America, and saw the obvious changes he had made since seeing Wicked over there.
After the matinee we went back to see Anthony. We got a group photo with those of us that were there (including those that were hiding). Thanks Stuart for taking the photo.

user posted image

It was great to speak to so many of the cast, and get photos and signatures, thank you everyone. After dinner, when we were going into the theatre, we saw Tim with Vicki and Suzie and partner. It was great to have a quick chat with them. Then it was time to go to our seats.

You could feel a special buzz around tonight; everyone was laughing and clapping, it was great to be part of it. The cast were in fine sprits too, changing ever so subtly their lines, and making it a fun night for everyone. At the end of the show, we made sure we stood up for Anthony, along with others in the audience.

Then came the speeches and you could definitely see Anthony wipe away a tear from his eye, but later when I asked him he said he was wiping his eyebrow. It was great to hear people speak so highly of him, and the tricks he got up to. He obviously has made a lot of friends in Wicked, and Anthony spoke highly of them. Then Stuart came out with the flowers. It was great to see him give them to Anthony, before he was introduced as the new Boq.

Afterwards, we had our last chance to see Anthony, so thought we would try our luck. When he came out the door, there was a large cheer, and he was carrying his flowers and Wayne was carrying his pressies. It was sad to see him go off, for the last time as part of Wicked. I know this means the beginning of his new chapter, but just the same, it?s sad to see him leave Wicked, as I have enjoyed every show I have been to, and as luck would have it, each time Anthony was on.

It was great to catch up with Sue, Nessi, Jo, Jess, Fran and Alissa. Foobs, we were looking for you but didn?t see you, hope you enjoyed the show. Thanks girls, for spending time with us during the day, as it made the day such a fun day.

#15 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

user posted image

#16 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:23 AM

Anthony
Feb 14 2008, 09:58 PM

Hey Gang

Hope you all enjoyed the ist show of ITT! Thanks for all your support and well wishes, it does not go
un-noticed, both myself and Candice really appriciate it. We are doing a R&B Soul number next week and I must say it will be a BIG challenge so hopefully it will all come together. Thanks to you all who came on Tuesday night, it was great having you all there!

Also, most of you have heard I am in the multi-award winning production of 'WICKED'! It's the story of what happened before the 'Wizard of Oz' and I am really excited about this and hope that you guys are too. This is such a HUGE musical production and I really hope you all get to experience this show as you will remember it for a very long time. The actual soundtrack is superb and visually you are going to be blown out of your seats. I am playing the role of Boq who is initially the Munchkin then turns into the Tin Man. See, who said being vertiacally challenged worked against you!!! 

Anthony
Jun 28 2008, 01:44 AM

Hey Gang

At Last, tonight we finally made it after all these weeks of rehearsals. It was so so good to be able to perform it to an audience and they went off, yay!

I cant wait for many of you to see it and I look forward to reading all your reviews ( be nice  ), I really hope you all love it as much as we love telling this magical story.

The cast is absolutely amazing especially the 2 leading ladies Amanda Harrison and Lucy Durack who are just supurb. Penny McNamee who plays Nessa is also amazing and just a beautiful person.

Thanks for all your well wishes for the show along with your support, you guys really are amazing.

Let there be many Wicked times ahead.

Chat Soon.

Anth xo

Anthony
Jul 23 2008, 05:56 PM

Hey ACOFers

I have heard there have been so many of you at the shows and it has been great to see and meet some of you.

I really hope you are all loving the show and a HUGE thanks to all you lovely people who have travelled interstate and even OS to see the show, without your support we wouldn't be able to get out on that stage 8 times a week and do what we love, so thanks again!

I have also been overwhelmed with all your gifts and cards sent to stage door full of well wishes and support, you go to so much trouble and is much appreciated.

In case you haven't heard, there is now a lottery system at the Regent for Wicked where you can pick up tickets for $30 buckaroonies, Bargain!!! I really don't know how it works exactly but I am sure you will be able to find out some info either on the Wicked website or at the Regent.

The shows are going well and we are all having a ball (not the ozdust ball!  ) so I hope many more of you get to share this magical experience with us.

Take Care

Anth xo

Ps: Happy Birthday Amanda Harrison!

#17 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

Zia
July 23rd 2008, 09:25 AM

Wicked cast Interview on Mornings with Kerri-Ann - June 25th, 2008

Kerri-Ann:" now live audiences, you're very familiar with and you can sing like a dream, how are you feeling about this?"

Anthony: "I'm pretty excited about it and I want to be one of those performers that can say I've done a bit of everything and have tried a bit of everything and I'm having a ball at the moment. Getting to work with veterans like Rob and Maggie, sorry, I say that in the best possible way because you can learn so much from Rob and Maggie Kirkpatrick. It's just great to be working as a team going for the same goal. It's a lot of fun"

Gold 104 Witching Hour with Craig Huggins- July 23rd, 2008

Craig: "We have a very special guest today. He is one of the best blokes you could possibly meet. He's a good Melbourne lad as well, Anthony Callea."

Craig: "Now you've had lots of fun across a very short career. Of course, we remember you  fondly from Australian Idol, but gee, you've done a lot since then, but this is really your first foray into major theatre - are you enjoying it Anthony?"

Anthony: "It is, it's 8 shows a week. It's full on but at the same time, it's really enjoyable and we get to do what we love, which is performing, so you couldn't ask for anything more really."

Anthony: "Oh definitely. It's a different world but it's still entertaining. I've always wanted to be one of those entertainers that sort of has a go at everything and tries to do everything. You know in ten years time I want to look back and go, you know, I've done this and I've done that. I'm really excited to be part of this production. It's a beautiful production. It's a beautifully told story and I'm having a lot of fun. Even though it's challenging, it's such a great thing to do."

#18 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:36 AM

cugina
post Aug 2 2008, 09:44 AM

Anthony's role as Boq in 'Wicked' - MEDIA Reviews

Callea is a fun and engaging Boq, and his scenes with Penny McNamee (Nessarose) are wonderfully entertaining - a duo well and truly connected
- AussieTheatre

Anthony Callea's munchkin outsider is brimful of pathos and energy
- The Australian

Anthony Callea is also strong as munchkin Boq
- Sunday Herald

Anthony Callea makes a commendable transition to musical theatre.
- Herald Sun

The casting is inspired, and director Lisa Leguillou has the actors working in perfect harmony....The Australian Idol factor come to the party: Mills is an appealing presence as the young romantic lead, while Callea seems born to play a munchkin.
-The Age

Anthony Callea and Rob Mills, who copped a lot of attention for their casting as Boq and Fiyero, were truly grand
- Troy Dodds - Aussie Theatre

No-one in the cast can be faulted. Australian Idol alumni Rob Mills and Anthony Callea work a treat
- Geelong Advertiser

Anthony Callea is winning as the munchkin Boq
- The Sunday Telegraph

Anthony Callea is gentle and winsome as the Munchkin Boq, who finally takes a stand after being walked over by his fellow students
- Australian Stage Online

Perhaps the biggest surprise comes from two former Australian Idolers Rob Mills, as male lead Fiyero, and Anthony Callea as a perfectly cast munchkin. Both hold their own with strong vocals - Callea particularly has a voice that seems perfect for musical theatre.
- New Zealand Herald

Rob Mills as the lover boy Fiyero and Scarecrow puts on a well measured performance as does Anthony Callea as Boq and the Tin Man.
- New Zealand Business Review

Anthony Callea is too cute for words as the Boq the munchkin
- B News

The Australian cast is superlative - Apart from the stellar performances of Harrison and Durack, there is a very strong supporting cast of uniform excellence - Anthony Callea exploits both voice and stature as the passionate Munchkin Boq.
- Blaze

Australian Idol favourites Anthony Callea and Rob Mills surprise in their roles as Boq and Fiyero respectively. It's a shame Anthony doesn't get his own song, as his performance is extremely well projected and note perfect
- Gen Q

Some of the best moments come from former Australian Idol contestant Anthony Callea as a munchkin.
-stuff.co.nz

as the munchkin Boq in Wicked, Callea is impressive.
- Andrew Murpett - The Age

#19 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

- Thank you to seehorse (Carol) for these photos -

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image