• 2,497 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:13 AM

Campbell sings away TV role dramas

By Australian Associated Press

Published: 16:10 AEST, 9 June 2014 | Updated: 16:10 AEST, 9 June 2014

•  
  •  
  •  

Actor Tim Campbell said he potentially missed out on a part in Grease for his role in the show House Husbands, and was then dumped from the show.

"I was auditioning (for Grease) but then I was supposedly doing House Husbands so I had to pull out of the auditions," Campbell said.

While he hadn't been offered a part, Campbell said he was in talks for the role of Kenickie in the stage musical.

"I was auditioning and we were talking ... House Husbands at the time said `well, if you do Grease you probably won't be able to come back to House Husbands'," he said.

So Campbell pulled out of the auditioning process for the musical.

"Not that I was offered a job, we never got that far," he said.

The actor was dumped before the third series of the popular Nine Network show and didn't see it coming.

"It was a surprise. I was on board for a few months and then suddenly I wasn't," he said.

"They could have done it a bit better but that's the nature of television sometimes."

The actor said it was very disappointing and as a fan of the show he felt cheated.

He played Tom, a gay firefighter in a relationship with Gyton Grantley's character Kane.

"Obviously Gyton is still there and his character is still there and I hope that continues," he said.

"I think he now gets together with the Voice host guy (Darren McMullen). That's what I saw in the ads.

"They told me they wanted to keep him single but obviously they've changed their minds."

He said a return to the show is not on the cards and he would probably say no if they asked him back.

The actor, who has been in musicals Wicked and Shout, isn't sitting around licking his wounds but is heading out on the road with his show High School Disco, with music from his debut album of the same name.

Covering hits such as Play That Funky Music, I'm A Believer and Footloose, he said it's a fun night out where he gets to sing the music he loves.

"It's all `70s, `80s, it's all the stuff I grew up with and love. Every time I do a gig, I often say if it was written after `95 I don't care about it," he said.

On the night, Campbell will make it an all encompassing experience with retro lollies, photos and videos from the 1980s.

The entertainer admits he prefers music from the past rather than a lot of modern songs.

And, even though his partner Anthony Callea found fame on Australian Idol, Campbell admits he's not a fan of reality TV music shows.

"To me, they're (coaches and mentors) obviously told to be very positive no matter what," he said.

"I'm sorry, you can't sit there and go `you're amazing you're going to be the next massive star' and you go `no they actually sing out of tune'."

Campbell said he preferred when Australian Idol first started out, when the judges were more "honest".

"There were people like Dicko (Ian Dickson) who were being honestly criticial ... or Mark Holden would pick up on things, and I just think there's less of that now on these shows," he said.

Campbell is keen to get out on the road and start his tour, and hopes that by the second half of the show everyone is up and dancing.

"People don't have to dress up, but they can get the sweatbands out if they want to," he said.

TIM CAMPBELL'S HIGH SCHOOL DISCO TOUR DATES

June 12 & 13 - Lighthouse Theatre, Adelaide

June 20 - Bankstown Sports Club, Sydney

June 21 - Southern Cross Club Woden, Canberra

June 27 - Country Club Tasmania, Launceston

June 28 - Wrest Point Entertainment Centre, Hobart

July 11 - Kedron Wavell Services Club, Brisbane

July 12 - Twin Towns Services Club, Gold Coast

July 26 - The Palms at Crown, Melbourne

Autism%20logo_full.gif

#342 caroline88

caroline88