#201 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

Posted by diissee

Canterbury Bankstown Express Special Offer Have 5 Double, passes to Canterbury show on 12th Aug 2.00pm

EVERYONE has seen him on Australian Idol and It Takes Two, but no one has known the real Anthony Callea, until now.

The much-loved singer is back with a new album and will bring his A New Chapter Tour to Canterbury-Hurlstone Park RSL on Sunday, August 12.

His new album, also titled A New Chapter, will be just that for the 24-year-old when it is released in November, marking the first time Callea has had creative input into the songwriting process.

``I spent a good year on this album and some time travelling overseas, co-writing 14 of the 16 songs,'' he said.

``It was great being able to live with it for a while, going backwards and forwards between the producer and changing things.

``I feel that I have a lot more ownership of this album and it means a lot more to me.''

He said he discovered more about himself on this album than any other time.

``The funny thing is when you are putting an album together, you can become so self-involved in what you are doing,'' he said.

``A few people came up to me after hearing the album and said that there were some negatives in the lyrics and I totally didn't realise.

``At the time it was so real and I just didn't realise that I must have been in a real bad mood, but you just don't think about that, you just write what you feel.''

He said this year has been a particularly interesting one for him, returning to his role as a music teacher for the first time since his pre-Australian Idol days with coach Jo Stanley on It Takes Two.

``How many people get the opportunity to go out and perform on live television every week? It has been so much fun!'' he said.

``Emotionally, for Jo Stanley, it has been a rollercoaster ride, but I feel I have walked away a more patient and tolerant person.''

He said he hopes his audiences enjoy the shows as much as he enjoys doing them.

``I'm just looking forward to getting out there and singing live again,'' he said.

``I will be singing some new tracks, some old tracks and a few covers that will surprise some people.

``Hopefully they walk away thinking it was energetic and that I brought the songs to life.''

Tickets: $40. Call 9558 0422.

The Express has five double passes to the August 12 concert to give away. Please send your name and contact details to The Reilly Centre, 387 Hume Highway, Liverpool, NSW, 2170.

#202 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

Posted by Danielle Jane
With thanks jaffa

Top Five Travel Places
Sun Herald -Section: Travel
By Philippa Coates
Date: 15/07/2007

http://img508.images...8212/imguf1.jpg

Anthony Callea
1 Sweden

I went to Sweden in December 2005 as part of a songwriting trip, and spent three days working with Jorgen Elofsson. He wrote hits for Britney Spears and Kelly Clarkson. Sweden has an amazing number of successful songwriters. The live music scene is incredibly vibrant. Stockholm's architecture, cobblestone roads and a castle make it beautiful in winter, especially waking up and seeing my hotel window ledge full of snow.

2 Whitsunday Passage

Sun, sand, friends, fishing, a skipper, a personal chef, drinking red wine under the stars on a 60-foot yacht cruising the islands at our own pace; what more could one ask for? The prize for winning an MTV award last year was a week on a private yacht. The weather was perfect. After several holidays on Hamilton Island, the sensation of being on a yacht virtually alone was really special. This would be one of my favourite holidays.

3 Dubai

In 2004, I spent a week in Dubai with my old band members, even though we were booked only for a one-hour gig for an Australian company at the Shangri-La Hotel. The hotel was second to none and the weather, well, I don't think I have ever felt heat like that. The architecture is so detailed and advanced and the city is so clean. After a week of all-expenses paid luxury, reality hit when our working holiday was over and we were finally back in Oz.

4 Phuket

My first visit to Thailand years ago was quite a culture shock. The locals are such beautiful people and it's sad that so many are doing it so tough. I remember going into a venue that said "Karaoke Bar" thinking it would be a bit of fun, but soon realised it was no karaoke bar! Let's just say there were many red lights on top of the doorways and whips on the walls; we didn't stick around! I did enjoy the Tina Arena and Tina Turner drag shows. Gold!

5 Cowra

I spent Easter this year in Cowra with my partner's family. There are many beautiful wineries in the district that produce some amazing wines. The country life is so laid-back and the drive there from Sydney is quite relaxing with many places to stop along the way.

Anthony Callea is performing at Star City on August 5. For all tour dates see www.anthonycallea.com.au.

#203 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

Posted by Sue
With thanks diissee

Who Would You Be If You Could Be A Citizen Of Springfield?
Sunday Herald Sun
15-7-2007

http://i77.photobuck...cles/img042.jpg

SIMPSONS CONQUER THAT FINAL FRONTIER - a number of celebrities of which Anthony was one, were asked the question;

If you were a character from The Simpsons, which one would you be and why? That is the question we posed to a bunch of celebrities, in order to discover how they truly see themselves. Anthony's reply -

ANTHONY CALLEA

"I'd say Bart, because I relate to him more, being a short a... and all."

#204 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

Posted by fleur
With thanks Take it to the Heart

Coming Out Makes Anthony Callea Far More Relaxed About his National Tour
Herald Sun -Hit Lift Out
By Cameron Adams
19-7-2008

http://img390.images...ave0002adi6.jpg

http://img209.images...save0003fv1.jpg

You're starting a national tour. What's the vibe this time around?

Loose. I want it to come across like we're in a rehearsal room jammimg. I don't want to just sing the tracks the way we recorded them. If you want that just stay home and listen to the album. I want to put a different spin on some of the songs. Apart from The Prayer. You can't really change The Prayer. I want people to
walk away going "I didn't expect that".

What about some cover versions?

Maybe a James Morrison number and a George Michael cover. I'm doing a Lionel Ritchie number.
This time I had two albums to choose from, plus whatever else I want to do.

How do you look back on your last album, A New Chapter, now?

I have no regrets. I don't know what I'll do for the third album, but the record company wants me to start working on it later this year. To be able to do 16 shows around the country based on this album is great.

Will Jo Stanley get on stage during one of your Melbourne shows?

If she's there I may as well drag her up. She's getting a free ticket.

#205 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:58 PM

Posted by Sue
With thanks diissee

Anthony Wins Tv Week Reader's Poll
TV Week
July, 2007

http://i77.photobuck...cles/img052.jpg

TV Week readers were asked the question -

Which movie or music star would you most like to read an interview with?

#206 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

Posted by DagGirl

Comfortable In His Own Skin
By Brian gridley

http://i13.photobuck...sm/img009-1.jpg

#207 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:02 PM

Posted by diissee

Pop Idol Anthony Callea My Fave!! The Chart Topper Tells Us, whats on his.....
Ok Magazine
July, 2007

http://i77.photobuck...cles/img051.jpg

1. IPOD...PINK, my favourite at the moment is the Pink Concert.

2.SHOPPING LIST...Cologne. The other day I bought a new fragrance for men by PRADA, it is just awesome.

3.DVD PLAYER... Cars I watched this animnated movie the other day and was in stitches all the way through it.

4.MEAL WISHLIST...The Stokehouse StKilda Its a great place to go in winter for a wine & have a gourmet Pizza in front of the fire while looking out over the bay.

5.BACKSTAGE DEMAND...Oil Burner An oil burner in my hotel room and my dressing room it helps me to relax.

#208 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

Posted by jaffa

By Jade Lazarevic
18-7-2007

http://img511.images.../img0002vq6.jpg

Surreal is a word that gets thrown around a lot but Anthony Callea could not pick out a more fitting way to describe two standout moments in his career.

One was being invited to perform for Luciano Pavarotti on his last tour of Australia and the second was meeting Queen Elizabeth II on Commonwealth Day last year.

"When the request came through to sing for Pavarotti I was totally...God, I just freaked out," Callea said. "I'm there going 'OK Pavarotti wants to hear me sing', I'm not a classical singer so I thought I was going to be crucified but I got out there and I sang.
He called me over and we had a chat - not that I remember what he said to me because it was all a blur - and he was a really, really nice guy.
'That and singing for the Queen and meeting her would have been two of the most bizzare moments, It was quite surreal, I felt like Kath and Kim - totally out of my depth."
The 24 year old has come a long way since he was runner up in the 2004
season of Australian Idol.

Callea holds the Aria record for the highest selling single and fastest selling single in Australian chart history for his debut single The Prayer, which went four times platinum.

Last week Callea found himself runner up once again on Television series It Takes Two after making it to the grand final with singing partner radio personality Jo Stanley.

Callea begins an extensive East Coast tour next week which brings him to Hunter Valley Gardens on July 28 alongside Jon Stevens, Amy Vee and Benjalou.

"That's what it's all about for me. I love getting out there and singing live." |Callea said "It's been about a year and a half since I did a tour like this and that was for my first albumm so it's been awhile so I'm really looking forward to it
It's going to be great to be able to get out there and perform with my band and bring these songs that I've been working on for a year to life.'

Callea has been waiting to tour on the back of his new album A New Chapter since it was released in November last year.

The pop singer admits that there vwas a lot less pressure this time around, having recorded and released his self title album soon after his stint on Idol.

"I was quite fortunate with my first album as it kept me busy for a good year and a half, so I was able to take a year off and make this album at my own pace, not have any restrictions or time restraints," he said.;
"I wanted to meet up with some people who wrote tracks on my first album and meet up with them to see what we could create for my second album."
"It was great because I got to go to Sweden, London, Milan - not that I got to see most of those places because I was writing virtually every day. Out of a month of writing I think I had three days off, so it was full on, but it was a great experience."

After working in the studio and on Television, Callea is now set to make his stage debut in a theatre production of Dead Man Walking at Sydney's State Theatre in September.

Breaking the overseas market is another challenge that Callea is looking forward to, but for the moment he is content with Australia.
"For me personally, I just want to work here until I'm ready to take that next step. Taking that next step is quite a big deal and you have to be ready for it mentally." he said "I want to make sure I leave my stamp here and give Australia my best before I head overseas."

#209 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

Posted by the_voice

Bumpy Ride Fails to Slow the Wiggles
The Wiggles are Again Top Earners
The Age
18-7-2007

http://www.theage.co...4559792298.html

IT HAS been a bumpy road for the Wiggles, but the group famous for making a motza from fruit salad and hot potatoes has retained the title of Australia's richest entertainers, topping BRW's annual Top 50 Entertainers List for the third year running.

Late last year, the group hired Sam Moran as the new Yellow Wiggle, replacing founding member Greg Page because of his illness, but sold-out tours in the US, along with album and merchandise sales helped the group match their 2005 earnings of $50 million.

Box-office takings and concert-ticket sales around the world helped boost the total income for Australia's actors, musicians and entertainers by 15.1 per cent to $393.1 million.

However, entertainment exporters such as the Wiggles may struggle as the rising Australian dollar cuts into earnings.

The Top 50 Entertainers List, now in its 11th year, hits newsstands tomorrow.

It shows that the cut-off for Australia's richest entertainers has increased from $1 million, a position held last year by Australian Idol winner Anthony Callea, to $1.1 million, a spot now shared by actor Radha Mitchell and author Tim Winton.
Nicole Kidman holds the honour of being Hollywood's best-paid actress, commanding $18 million per role and moving from third into second place in the list, after her earnings increased from $22.3 million in 2005 to $35 million.

Her country singer husband Keith Urban also had a bumper year.

His earnings increased from $20 million to $26 million.

After disappointing earnings for 2005 caused Russell Crowe's income to drop from $27 million to $5 million in last year's list, the Cinderella Manstar climbs back into the top 10 this year, making an estimated $15 million.

However, X-Men star Hugh Jackman remains Australia's highest-paid male star, making $30 million, a $10 million jump on the previous year.

Kylie Minogue's Showgirl tour, a triumphant return following cancer, helped the pint-sized singer climb from sixth place last year, when she raked in $19 million, to fourth in this year's list with an estimated $27 million.

The list also includes some staggering debuts, including television producer-turned The Secret guru Rhonda Byrne, who appears for the first time on the list with an estimated $14 million, thanks to skyrocketing sales of her self-help DVDs, following an appearance on Oprah in March last year.

AC/DC remains Australia's highest-earning rock music act but others in the industry also enjoyed a profitable year, with musicians Bernard Fanning, Rogue Traders and Wolfmother making the list for the first time thanks to strong album and concert ticket sales.

#210 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

Posted by A True Friend

Callea Gets Second Shot
Wyndham Leader
17-7-2007

http://i12.photobuck...d/LastScan1.jpg