Lea

Callealy Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

MUSIC REVIEW

How Deep is Your Love
Queensland Music Festival, Brisbane City Hall, July 19.

MIDWAY through the Queensland Music Festival, organisers opted to celebrate the songwriting genius of the Bee Gees. 

The set list included material that Barry, Robin and Maurice Gibb wrote for themselves and others. Somehow the spectre of Barry Gibb hung over the event. The eldest Gibb had been in Brisbane only a matter of months earlier to perform these songs himself to stunning effect.

Taking over the newly refurbished Brisbane City Hall, a cast of singers, led by musical director John Foreman, was joined by a fine band and the Deep Love Orchestra playing to a capacity house.

The night started with a mild reading of Stayin' Alive from Melinda Schneider and The Idea of North. Until Schneider and the band kicked in midway through the song, the disco call to arms was in need of having its pulse checked.
  .    .
Rick Price performed admirable renditions of I've Gotta Get a Message to You and I Started a Joke, while Ray Thistlethwayte (from Thirty Merc) looked miscast without a well-known hit to sing. The only vocalist to bring real gravitas to the first half of the evening was Doug Parkinson, who sang Massachusetts and How Can You Mend a Broken Heart. Schneider then joined Parkinson for a rousing Islands in the Stream.

The show lost momentum with The Idea of North and Emma Pask's deconstruction of Too Much Heaven. The Bee Gees original arrangements of their hits are bullet-proof, and attempts to play with the melodies or tempos generally misfired. Pask's jazz-bossanova rearrangement of Spicks and Specks and Grease saw the first half of the performance meandering to conclusion.

It took Anthony Callea to give the show a much needed kick in the pants with a disco-fuelled If I Can't Have You. Christine Anu continued the good work and Darren Percival did a fine falsetto on More Than A Woman. Katie Noonan joined Percival for a terrific take on the Barry Gibb-Barbra Streisand duet Guilty. Noonan again impressed as she took to the piano and shone on Foreman's arrangement of New York Mining Disaster 1941. But the undisputed star of the night was Tina Arena. Noonan and Arena delivered another Streisand hit, a knock-out Woman in Love.

Arena brought down the house with Chain Reaction, a hit for Diana Ross, and the Bee Gees' own Words. The ensemble returned for How Deep is Your Love and You Should Be Dancing.

Overall, the show was a decidedly mixed bag, running the gamut from the ordinary to the sublime.

MUSIC
How Deep is Your Love
Queensland Music Festival, Brisbane City Hall, July 19.

http://www.theaustra...6-1226683323175

Autism%20logo_full.gif

#2 jojop72

jojop72

Ave Maria

• Members
  • 5,354 posts
  • Interests:Anthony Callea
    l love everything about him
    His got great music
    a great voice
    Great laugh lol
    and is AMAZING on stage
    also like Ryan Sheppard from WICKED
    and Tim Campbell

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for posting = Anth just posted it on Twitter

a good read

d86a9341-25c1-441a-8e7b-8214db892477_zps  <p> 

#3 vickisharon

vickisharon

Ave Maria

• Members
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

:thankyou: Thanks for posting Lea. :thumbsup:

86ca4605-0412-4edf-a30d-5fa4d25fea6e.jpg

#4 Heather

Heather

Per Sempre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

Nice to hear him get a good comment from the reviewer.

H

#5 nonnapat

nonnapat

Ave Maria

• Members
  • 4,633 posts
  • Interests:I have four wonderful children and seven beautiful grandchildren. I love Anthony's beautiful amazing heavenly music and couldn't go a day without listening to it. Anthony & his phenomenal talent have bought so much joy to my life. I love Anthony's live concerts & performances.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

Thanks very much Lea :)  I'm really glad that Anthony gave the show a much needed kick ion the pants with his brilliant voice. :wub:  I'm also glad Tina bought the house down.

71r280.jpg

xqd.gif

#6 I_HEART_ANTH

I_HEART_ANTH

Ave Maria

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  • Interests:Anthony, music,

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Great anth received a good comment and of course tina arena would bring the house down she is a brilliant singer

#7 anthem

anthem

Addicted To You

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

Big thanks for posting, Lea.

Posted Image

The Man With The Rolls Royce Voice

One Listen Forever Smitten

#8 Lea

Lea

Callealy Addicted

• Members
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

not sure whether this has been posted before...another review of the BeeGees Tribute show.

The second half kicked off with crowd favourite Anthony Callea whose extraordinary voice took `Immortality’ to new heights.

http://onwiththeshow...r-love-tribute/

Autism%20logo_full.gif

#9 Heather

Heather

Per Sempre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

Thanks Lea. I hadn't read that one. What a lovely tribute to Anthony. I would truly love to hear him sing that gorgeous song.

Such a pity they didn't take that concert to each state. It's the sort of thing that would appeal to many people. So sad I didn't get to see it.

Truly some of Australia's best, who really don't get enough exposure IMO.

H

#10 nonnapat

nonnapat

Ave Maria

• Members
  • 4,633 posts
  • Interests:I have four wonderful children and seven beautiful grandchildren. I love Anthony's beautiful amazing heavenly music and couldn't go a day without listening to it. Anthony & his phenomenal talent have bought so much joy to my life. I love Anthony's live concerts & performances.

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:36 PM

Thanks very much Lea :)  It was a really lovely article to read. I agree with you Heather its a real shame they didn't take it on tour I'm sure it would have done really well. :yes-2:  ( sorry I don't know what my computer is doing now )

Loved reading -

Immortality a big hit

And that was just the first half of this amazing entertainment program! The second half kicked off with crowd favourite Anthony Callea whose extraordinary voice took `Immortality’ to new heights. :wub:

OUR beautiful ANTHONY certainly has the most beautiful powerful phenomenal voice I've ever heard. :thud:

71r280.jpg

xqd.gif

#11 caroline88

caroline88

Ave Maria

• Members
  • 80,444 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:34 PM

Thanks Lea for posting. :)

2v2jsr6.jpg

Anthony Callea Is Totally Awesome !