• 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

Posted by Lea

Sony Bushfire Aid Earns $1.6 Million For The Salvos
Undercover
by Paul Cashmere
20-4-2009

http://undercover.co...ry.aspx?id=8112

The Salvation Army Bushfire Appeal will be boosted a further $1.6 million with thanks to Sony Music.

The Bushfire Aid album initiated by Sony Music Entertainment Chairman and CEO Denis Handlin AM at the time of the disaster has gone on to become one of the biggest selling albums of this year.

?I am absolutely delighted with the public?s support for the Bushfire Aid CD which has now raised $1.6.! The support from retailers, TV, print and radio media partners, artists, composers, publishers and digital channels has been truly outstanding,? Denis tells Undercover News. Sony Music, with the help of Sony DADC manufacturing, was able to get the CD into market in record time. We look forward to presenting the donation cheque to the Salvation Army Bushfire Appeal very soon in the bushfire affected area.?

?Bushfire Aid - Artists For The Bushfire Appeal? featured songs from Shannon Noll, Delta Goodrem, Wes Carr, Empire of the Sun, Anthony Callea, John Farnham, Vanessa Amorosi and Lee Kernaghan, to name a few.

Each artist that contributed to the released waived their royalties, as did Sony for its manufacturing costs.

Within days of the disaster, the album was in stores for people to buy.

All proceeds from the album went to the Sony Foundation to be distributed to the Salvation Army Bushfire Appeal.

#63 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

Posted by diissee

Autographed Guitar For Auction
themusic.com.au

Autographed Guitar for Auction

Determined to do something after the Victorian bushfires, performer Alana Galea has arranged for a guitar to be signed by musicians, to be auctioned on ebay for the Red Cross Bushfire Relief Fund.

Among those who?ve signed are Daryl Braithwaite, Ross Wilson, Jimmy Barnes, Mark Seymour, James Reyne, Eric McCusker, Brian Cadd. Russell Morris, Chris Paraha (Ross Wilson & the Urban Legends), Darryl Cotton, Jim Keays, Anthony Callea, David Campbell. Guy Sebastian, Dannii Minouge, Red Symonds, Geoff Achinson, Joe Camilleri, Nick Barker, Mike Rudd, Bill Putt, Peter ?Robbo? Robinson (Spectrum) and Daryl Roberts (Spectrum).

The auction begins April 2 and they plan to collect even more signatures before it finishes on April 10

#64 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

Posted by Lea

Funny bugger
Written by Daren Pope
25-3-2009

IPB Image
British comedian Stephen K Amos tells Daren Pope that the internet is no laughing matter.

In 2007, comedian Stephen K Amos joined Anthony Callea as a guest on the ABC?s Spicks and Specks. Callea had just come out, and unable to resist the temptation, Amos flirts outrageously: "You're so cute I want to put you in my pocket and take you home," he says at one point. Callea is blushing visibly. Host Adam Hills and the other guests are slack jawed at the audacity of this homo love fest playing out before them. It?s good television that says as much about Stephen K Amos as it does about Callea's belated coming out.

The 2009 Melbourne International Comedy Festival sees Stephen K Amos return after a worldwide tour with his show, Find The Funny. It is classic Amos stand-up, built on the premise that life is chock-a-block full of humour. You've just got to learn how to read it. You've got to go out and 'find the funny'. True to form and to illustrate the practise, Amos is likely to engage in some insightful probing of audience members ? and if this year?s show is anything like previous seasons, the results will be hilarious.

But amidst the mirth and mimicry (nobody does physical comedy quite like Amos) a powerful intellect is at play. Amos is smart and, unlike many comedians, he is unafraid to bring this into his routine. A pet project remains the peril of the internet and the rise and rise of social networking sites like Gaydar, Myspace and Facebook.

?To rely on these things, you know, something you can't even see, like the super highway, is a very, very bad thing," he tells MCV. "I remember 15 years ago nobody had mobile phones and we all got by. Nobody was late for a meeting. We all functioned quite well without the internet. And as for blogs, you know, people who tell us their whole life's story on the internet ? what about your friends? Talk to your friends for God?s sake.?

I wonder aloud whether Gaydar hasn't been a positive thing for gay men, connecting them over long distance like never before. Amos doesn't buy it.

"The whole Gaydar thing is quite scary ? faceless people hiding behind knob shots," he shoots back. "It's a web of lies, it's just awful. Who knows who's hiding behind a fake persona online? It can be quite a dangerous thing, there are some very odd people out there who go to any length to lure you in. For me, I think the internet has created a voice for people who certainly shouldn't have a voice."

Another example of Amos?s intellect is his willingness to dissect his sexuality in his work. It's a journey that hasn't always been easy, and there have been two such projects in his career. The first was a solo show in 2006 called All of Me in which he publicly acknowledged his homosexuality. More pointedly was the 2007 Channel Four documentary Batty Man, about homophobia in the black British community. The highlight was a scene in which he comes out to a room of largely heterosexual black men. The comedy takes a downturn as Amos is laid bare and what follows is a harrowing Q&A between him and the audience. It was a brave move that won him much respect in the UK gay community, as well as on the comedy circuit.

These days Amos is slightly more introspective about employing gay themes in his show. ?The more people get to know me, the more they see that I leave no stone unturned. I just like people, I like the human connection ? be you homosexual, heterosexual or even greedy bisexual.?

Stephen K Amos in Find The Funny at The Comedy Theatre, 240 Exhibition St, City, April 1-11 and at the Forum Theatre, 154 Flinders St, April 14-19. Bookings: www.comedyfestival.com / www.ticketek.com.au or 132 849.

#65 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:42 PM

Posted by mucha

http://www.nrlnews.c...y-services-cup/

Storm, Dragons Emergency Services Cup
Nrlnews
7-3-2009

Emergency Services CUP NRLThe Melbourne Storm?s Round 1, NRL clash with the Dragons at Olympic Park on Friday, March 13th will become the inaugural Emergency Services Cup.

The Cup will now be a yearly battle between the club, assisting Emergency Services personnel who give their services to the communities of both Victoria and New South Wales.

At the Round One clash, the Storm will wear special commemorative jerseys that will feature a yellow ribbon embroidered into them, with each player?s jersey to be auctioned off to raise money for the Bushfire Relief Appeal.

In the corresponding clash in Round 21, the Dragons will do likewise with their jerseys.

Storm CEO Brian Waldron says the fixture, which is fully supported by both the Victorian and New South Wales governments, is a fitting tribute to those in the Emergency Services who have done so much for Victoria in recent times.

?I don?t think I?ve come across a person in Victoria that hasn?t been either directly or indirectly affected by the tragic bushfires,? said Waldron.

?We, as a Club, wanted to pay tribute to those Emergency Services personnel who have helped so many people affected by the bushfires, whether that be fighting the fires themselves; providing food, clothing and shelter; or just being there to listen and help in any way they can.

?The Emergency Services Cup will not only pay tribute to these wonderful people now, but also each and every time the Storm and Dragons meet, and I think that?s fitting recognition of the services these people provide now and in the future.?

When contacted by Waldron to discuss the concept, St George-Illawarra CEO Peter Doust had no hesitation in supporting such a worthy cause.

?The Emergency Services across our nation play a vital role in supporting our communities,? said Doust.

?While justifiably in recent times we have all focused on Victoria, there will always be a need for these valuable services somewhere.

?The Dragons would like to play a part in recognising their role and contribution ? the people who give and the people who deliver.?

Victorian Police and Emergency Services Minister Bob Cameron said that emergency services personnel from all over Australia had worked tirelessly to help Victorians get through the worst natural disaster in Australia?s history.

?It?s been a huge national effort and the Brumby Government and all Victorians are truly grateful for the assistance our interstate and international colleagues have offered to our own volunteer and career fire-fighters and emergency services personnel,? Cameron said.

?The spirit and endeavour of our emergency service workers and their interstate counterparts has been vital to ensuring the safety of Victorians during one of the harshest summers we?ve ever faced and their contribution can?t be praised highly enough.?

The NSW Minister for Emergency Services the Hon. Steve Whan also immediately endorsed the Emergency Services Cup initiative in both Melbourne next weekend and the mid-year return match in Sydney (Round 21).

?This is a great way to pay tribute to the thousands of emergency services personnel from both NSW and Victoria who worked tirelessly to fight these fires,? said Whan.

?It?s a fitting tribute ? sporting heroes playing to show our appreciation for emergency services heroes.

?And while it?s certainly a fun event, as a community we will never forget the brave work done fighting fires. Nor will we forget those who now face the daunting task of rebuilding their lives.?

To add to the occasion, international music act Chris Isaak will entertain the crowd at half-time by performing two songs, while local act Anthony Callea will perform two of his songs before the game, as well as sing the Australia national anthem.

Gates open at 5.00pm with the under-20?s kicking-off their 2009 campaign at 5.35pm. The NRL clash will kick-off at 7.35pm.[/quote]

#66 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:45 PM

Posted by Sue
With thanks Take it to the Heart

The Beautiful Girls Fashion Lunch
Sunday Herald Sun
8-3-2009

http://img27.imagesh...0/project1a.jpg

#67 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

Posted by diissee

Tv Star Carson Kressley's In With A Chance At Flemington
Herald Sun
By Luke Dennehy
8-3-2009

MAKING a flying visit to Flemington yesterday morning was Carson Kressley, and he has plans to return to Australia again soon.

The reality TV star said he was in town for a few meetings, including talking about a potential television show with an Australian network.

He was also here for the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras in Sydney, and yesterday he seemed to take a real shine to one of the J'Aton boys, Jacob Pittorino, in the Myer marquee.

Though he was tight-lipped, I understand Kressley has been talking with executives at Myer about doing his own fashion line leading into the Spring Racing Carnival.

Despite not having a big profile in the US, Kressley is a regular visitor to Australia and appears to be a near-permanent fixture on Myer's books.

The fact he was talking to Myer executives this week suggests he is likely to be back in Melbourne for the Spring Racing Carnival.

"I love Australia. When I arrive at the airport, it feels like I've come back to a second home," he said.

REBECCA Twigley cut a stylish figure in the Myer marquee and was joined later in the afternoon by her boyfriend, Carlton player Chris Judd.

Twigley is juggling work as a junior speech pathologist at The Alfred hospital and her busy schedule at the races around the country for Myer, but she's loving every minute.

Many of the senior speech pathologists at The Alfred have been working with the bushfire victims, so Twigley has stepped up her duties in the past few weeks and has been relishing every opportunity.

MYER and the VRC held a couples competition at Flemington for Fashions On The Field and it was a hotly contested affair. There were 25 couples who entered the competition, hosted by Mia Greves and James Tobin from Channel 7.

The winners need no introduction to racing. Lewis Romano and girlfriend Alexandra Elms won the competition.

Lewis is the son of well-known Melburnite Judy Romano, who looks after the Emirates tent during the Spring Racing Carnival. Yesterday, Judy was proud as punch, as she was working for race day sponsor Darley, which is Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum's company, and watched the winning announcement from the company's hospitality suite at Flemington.

Other guests at the Myer marquee - the couples event on a Super Saturday was a first for the department store and clearly a real hit - included Paul Licuria and his wife Barbara, Michael and Lindy Klim, Anthony Callea and Tim Campbell and Olympic rowing champion James Tomkins.

#68 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

Posted by cugina
With thanks Lea

http://www.news.com....1-27258,00.html

http://i39.tinypic.com/b8tym1.jpg

Anthony's Answered Prayer
Sunday Herald
Luke Dennehy
1-3-2009

ANTHONY Callea has always been a huge fan of Tina Arena and he finally sang with her on Friday night.

With boyfriend Tim Campbell in the crowd watching, Callea and Arena performed a impromptu duet of The Prayer at the launch of the Grand Hyatt redevelopment in Collins St.

Arena had earlier sung four songs for the crowd.

The two had met before, first during Callea's time on Australian Idol in 2004.

The duet brought the house down and the two did such a great job you wouldn't have known it was an impromptu decision to sing together.

Afterwards, both Arena and Callea couldn't wipe the smiles from their faces as the crowd cheered.

#69 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

Posted by diissee

http://i306.photobuc...ppeal-album.jpg

Sony To Release Bushfire Appeal Cd
Undercover Music
by Paul Cashmere
13-2-2009

Sony Music has been quick to react to the Victorian bushfire disaster and will release Bushfire Aid: Artists for the Bushfire Appeal CD next week.

Just days after the horror of the fires has unfolded, Sony quickly put together the compilation to help raise funds for the thousands of people who have been left homeless because of the fires.

All money raised from the release will go directly to the Salvation Army Bushfire Appeal.

The bushfires in Victoria have so far claimed 181 lives. That figure is expected to go near 300. Over 1800 homes have been lost and more than 1 million animals died in the blaze.

Please visit your local record store and place an order for this album today.

The tracklisting is:

Bruce Springsteen ?The Rising?
Shannon Noll & Natalie Bassingthwaighte ?Don?t Give Up?
Billy Joel ?Honesty?
Beyonce ?Halo?
Empire Of The Sun ?Walking On A Dream?
Midnight Oil ?One Country?
Lee Kernaghan ?Spirit Of The Bush?
Vanessa Amorosi ?Shine?
Hoodoo Gurus ?Castles In The Air?
John Butler Trio ?Better Than?
Jessica Mauboy ?Time After Time?
Justin Timberlake ?Losing My Way?
Eurythmics ?Miracle Of Love?
John Williamson ?True Blue?
Hunters & Collectors ?Holy Grail?
Wes Carr ?You?
Bill Withers ?Lean On Me?
Icehouse ?Great Southern Land?

The Living End ?White Noise?
Jimmy Barnes ?Working Class Man?
Powderfinger ?These Days?
Rose Tattoo ?We Can?t Be Beaten?
Pete Murray ?Saving Grace?
John Farnham ?You?re The Voice?
Men At Work ?Down Under?
Kasey Chambers ?This Flower?
Paul Kelly ?Leaps & Bounds?
Delta Goodrem ?Believe Again?
Anthony Callea ?The Prayer?
Whitney Houston ?The Greatest Love Of All?
Dido ?Here With Me?
Westlife ?You Raise Me Up?
Jennifer Rush ?The Power Of Love?
Newton Faulkner ?Dream Catch Me?
Noiseworks ?Touch?

Just in the last hour, police arrested a 39-year old man in connection with the Gippsland fires. 21 people died as a result of that fire.

Under Australian law, arson causing death carries a maximum penalty of 25 years. With 21 dead, if charged, he will face up to 21 consecutive 25-year penalties.

#70 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:55 PM

Posted by Sue
With thanks diissee

Tim Campbell - In My Own Words
Sunday Herald Sun
15-2-2009

I'D LOVE TO BE A DAD. I've thought about having kids and it's something I'd like to do one day. It's not on the agenda in the short term, but Anthony and I have talked about it.

#71 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

Posted by diissee

Australian Open 2009 - The Final Word
Tennis Australia
2-2-2009

For the tenth consecutive year the Australian Open has attracted more than half a million patrons with an official tournament attendance of 603,160 in 2009.
The highest ever day/night attendance in Grand Slam history was recorded three times during the first week of the Australian Open, on Wednesday 21 January, Friday 23 January and Saturday 24 January. The new record of 66,018 was set on Saturday 24 January.

A star-studded men's and women's singles draw included eight men's Grand Slam champions and six women's Grand Slam champions and 31 of the top 32 men and 29 of the top 32 women. A total of 46 nations were represented in the singles main draws (34 countries in the men's singles and 38 countries in the women's singles.)

The tournament saw American Serena Williams win her fourth Australian Open title and a dream final line up in the men?s draw, with the world No.1 Rafael Nadal battling it out with World No.2 Roger Federer for the first Grand Slam title of the year.

Aussie Jelena Dokic enjoyed a remarkable return to form and run at this year?s Australian Open. Having secured her place in the main draw by winning the Australian Open Play-off in December, the former World No.4 put her troubled past behind her to win the hearts of the Australian public and a place in the quarter-finals. Dokic enjoyed wins over two top 20 players en route, before losing in three close sets to World No.3 Dinara Safina, improving her world ranking from No.187 to a projected spot within the top 100.

Australian Open 2009 saw superb TV audience figures, highlighted with the 2.315 million viewers across the five major metropolitan markets tuning into Channel Seven?s coverage of the tournament on the second Tuesday night.

Entertaining the crowds were some of Australia?s top music acts including Vanessa Amorosi, Natalie Bassingthwaighte, Mental as Anything, Black Sorrows, Daryl Braithwaite and Pete Murray.

Over the fortnight fans devoured 12,204 meat pies, 18,417 hot dogs, 12,892 ice cream cones, 171,166 bottles of Evian water, 80,000 bottles of Heineken and 225,000 draught cups. There were 25 kitchens operating with 175 kitchen staff and over 1,500 food and beverage staff.

Those who couldn?t get along in person made sure they kept in touch through the official website www.australianopen.com powered by IBM. At the close of play on Day 13, 7.6 million different people had already visited the official Australian Open website, up by one million on last year?s figures for the same time. To date they have made over 35 million visits to the web site.

Favourite player profiles among the fans on www.australianopen.com saw world No.1 Rafael Nadal and this year?s women?s champion Serena Williams top the poll ahead of Roger Federer and Dinara Safina. Andy Roddick leads the men?s competition for aces served at 87, with Serena Williams topping the women?s at 42.

The fastest serves of the tournament were recorded by Australia?s Sam Groth (230km/h) while Sabine Lisicki topped the women?s fastest serves (196km/h). Helping the players serve were the racquet stringers who strung more than 3,400 racquets using over 40 km worth of string, with the fastest racquet strung in just 14 minutes.

1733 members of the media (broadcast, print & radio) were accredited at Australian Open 2008 (785 international, 948 Australian).

And making it all happen behind the scenes were over 4,500 members of staff, including 337 Aviva Ballkids, 365 umpires, 220 Kia courtesy car drivers, 65 court services and operations staff, 80 retail staff and 55 statisticians. A fleet of 85 official cars supplied by the tournament?s major sponsor Kia Motors made in excess of 40,000 journeys transporting players to and from Melbourne Park, clocking up more than 312,000 km.

Famous faces watching the action included Erica Bana, Dannii Minogue, Ben Cousins, Shane Warne, Anthony Callea, Daniel McPherson, Shayne Reese, Stephanie Rice and Kate Ceberano.

Garnier World in Garden Square attracted more than 28,500 people through its doors, with 2,186 patrons visiting on the busiest day. Over the fortnight 68 members of Garnier staff provided 9,800 mini facials, 11,200 hair styles and 7,000 massages and used 43,000 bobby pins, 400 hairsprays, 350 hair waxes and putties.

The most popular item from the Australian Open retail shop was the official player towel with 16,801 sold at Melbourne Park and online (includes four different towel types and designs). In addition 2,692 Wilson Australian Open jumbo tennis balls were sold.

#72 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:59 PM

Posted by diissee

http://i306.photobuc...ee/img416-2.jpg

Callea's Symphony
City Messenger
31-1-2009

#73 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

Posted by Lea

http://www.dbmagazin...457/tr-AC.shtml

'Anthony Callea'
dBmagazine Article Issue #457 14-28
By Steve Jones
30-1-2009

Anthony Callea

Multi-award winning vocalist Anthony Callea has certainly made the most of his time and opportunities since finishing runner up in the 2004 season of 'Australian Idol'.

Beginning with his debut single The Prayer rocketing up the charts to become Australia's fastest and highest selling song of all time, Callea continued his success with two high charting albums, two seasons of Channel Seven's 'It Takes Two' and a number of headlining national tours and support spots alongside the likes of Diana Ross, Westlife and Celine Dion; he's also been invited to perform before the late Luciano Pavarotti, and both Queen Elizabeth II and Mary of Denmark (nee: Tasmania). Not bad, considering less than five years ago he was an unknown singer from Werribee, Victoria.

Currently playing the role of Boq in the Melbourne production of 'Wicked: The Broadway Musical', Callea's third major theatrical part in two years, there won't be too much time to rest before heading our way to perform as part of the tenth 'Santos Symphony Under The Stars'.

"You always hope for those amazing things to happen throughout your career," Callea considers his post-'Idol' achievements. "I've been quite lucky with what's happened so far and yeah, it's been great. I look back on things and obviously there has been some surreal moments where I've been singing in front of Pavarotti and meeting The Queen, and then I was so happy to have supported Celine Dion because you either love her or hate her in terms of her music, but you can never deny the fact that she's a brilliant singer," he says in extolling her virtues.

"Technically, the way she executes her voice is second to none, so to have the opportunity to chat with her was bigger than many of those other moments that everyone else thinks were big, because it meant so much more to me," he beams.

"I'm not ashamed of my past at all," Callea says of his fast-tracked rise to national stardom, "and obviously after using the 'Idol' show as a platform you're then on your own and the hard work starts and it's up to you to make it work," he explains.

"Now, gone are the days when you have record company representatives going to bars and clubs to check out new singers and bands because it just doesn't happen any more, and this is something that I've always wanted to do," stresses. "So when an opportunity like 'Idol' comes along you'd be stupid not to take it, and it's what you make of it really," he avers.

"I did a show on Saturday night at the Crown Palms and looking into the audience it was amazing," Callea says of his broad appeal. "Like, I had the sixty, twenty and forty-five year olds and I also had the gays and I even had drag queens," he laughs, "and I had families there too, you know? I just looked out at the demographic and I feel quite fortunate to have such a wide audience but it also makes my job a lot harder when I'm trying to put a set list together," he informs me.

"The thing is, there's nothing better for a singer than to sing in front of a symphony orchestra because it just takes things to another level."

Callea says for his upcoming engagement at Elder Park he expects to sing before a crowd of about 25,000.

"It's an amazing opportunity and it's an amazing honour because these aren't just any musicians, these are elite musicians. So when this opportunity came along I said 'definitely', and I jumped at it. To be singing in front of the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra outdoors under the stars doesn't get much better than that," he enthuses.

Callea, who claims to have never had a classical lesson in his life, suggests to me "and I already know what that feeling is like because earlier on this year I did three shows with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra at the Opera House, and again that was one of those moments that gave me goosebumps. I look back on the last four and a half years and you know? It's been great," he reiterates. "I'm doing what I love doing and I'm still working. I'm doing eight shows a week at the moment with 'Wicked', so that's been keeping me busy and when I finish with that in January I'll then start working on another album."

The Adelaide Symphony Orchestra and Anthony Callea perform The Symphony Under The Stars Tenth Anniversary concert on Sat 31 Jan in Elder Park from 8.00pm.

#74 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

Posted by Poppy

Adelaide Concert Postponed Due To Heatwave

ADELAIDE?S heatwave has forced the cancellation of this Saturday?s Symphony Under the Stars concert, amid concerns the scorching temperatures could damage the musicians? instruments.

The Adelaide Symphony Orchestra (ASO) made the decision today, with the temperature expected to again exceed 40 degrees on Saturday.

ASO chief executive Rainer Jozeps said the orchestra?s instruments were not designed to be played in such extreme heat, which could cause drying and cracking to timbers, lacquer and adhesives.

?I am sure that the South Australian community will understand that we have an obligation to the players and production staff that they are kept safe from such extreme conditions,? he said.

?The risk the heat poses to the musicians instruments is also unacceptable.?

Mr Jozeps said it was difficult for many instruments to remain in key in such extreme heat.

The concert was set to feature guest artist Anthony Callea.

The ASO is considering alternative dates to re-schedule the concert.

#75 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:09 PM

Posted by the_voice

Ryan, Monty & Wippa airs 4pm to 6pm weekdays on Nova.
22-1-2009

SEVERAL years ago Michael "Wippa" Wipfli was sacked, twice, from his panel operator job at Fox.

"I slipped up a bit," he says, trying to change the subject. But his Nova drive-show co-hosts, Ryan Shelton and Katie "Monty" Dimond, are keen to elaborate on his misfortune.

"Didn't you let Hamish (in the studio) while he was drunk?" Dimond asks. "That had nothing to do with it," Wipfli insists.

"And didn't you let me in one time?" Shelton asks.

"OK, that did have something to do with it," Wipfli concedes, before admitting the other sacking was prompted by his failure to come to work after a boozy Christmas party.

Given the trio is now in competition with the indomitable Hamish & Andy, they can no longer afford to indulge in alcohol-fuelled hijinks. Yet they don't feel daunted.

"We won't be coming to work every day going, 'How can we beat them?' " Shelton says. "We just want to make the show the best we can."

Complicating matters is the fact they are all good friends with Blake and Lee. In fact, Shelton and Blake attended school together, Wipfli was a regular guest on Hamish & Andy and Dimond is dating their producer, Sam Cavanagh.

"We're really good mates," Wipfli says. "Me, Ryan and Hamish have actually just come back from a holiday in Byron."

Dimond says: "We were friends before and we'll be friends for a long time after."

Which is all well and good ? but surely they have some dirt on their commercial rivals? "I never thought of that," Shelton says. "But now that you mention it, yes, we have some great dirt!"

Sadly, however, he declines to share it. Indeed, the team has the same funny-but-not-nasty comic sensibilities of Blake and Lee. Sitting in an office in Nova's cramped Richmond studios, they have the relaxed air of a group of mates just hanging out at the pub. Which is probably because they were mates before they were colleagues.

"The three of us got together and did a demo show four years ago," Dimond says. "But nobody picked us up."

"Or maybe it just took them a while to get through the pile of demo tapes," Shelton counters. "Perhaps they only heard it recently and decided to hire us."

The fact they have all done their time at regional stations ? or hosted programs in obscure timeslots ? probably helped. Dimond and Shelton, for instance, did a Saturday morning show on Nova last year. (Shelton also christened Dimond "Diamante", which soon became "Monty". "I called her Diamante because she's a fake," he explains.) Previously, Dimond worked behind the scenes on Triple M's Tough Love and Get This and did a stint at a station in Albury. Meanwhile, Wipfli spent three years on the second-highest-rating FM breakfast show in Perth.

"You just couldn't crack number one," Shelton says.

"We didn't want to," Wipfli retorts. "On Australian Idol, the runner up always does better in the long run. We were like Anthony Callea ? just happy to be second."

Fortunately, Wipfli is also well-versed in the world of FM stunts, which explains why he once cast his genitals in bronze.

Ryan, Monty & Wippa airs 4pm to 6pm weekdays on Nova.

#76 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

Posted by diissee

http://www.3aw.com.a...90120-7lol.html

3aw Donna's Gossip - Edition 8
20-1-2009

A refreshed Anthony Callea has returned from a working holiday in New York where he finally got see WICKED the MUSICAL on Broadway after he performed as a munchkin in the Melbourne production of the show for about six months. He's currently raving about the Broadway production of Mary Poppins and Hairspray.

#77 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

Posted by calleakenny
With thanks diissee

Which Way Now, Callea?
Adelaide Sunday Mail
18-1-2009

http://i306.photobuc...180109ASO-2.jpg

http://i306.photobuc...ssee/img413.jpg

#78 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

Posted by Heather

http://blaze.e-p.net...stars-2536.html

Callea Croons Under The Stars
Blaze Feature
By Peter Burdon
9-1-2009

Anthony Callea takes centre stage with the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra. As Peter Burdon found out, he?s pretty excited about it.
It comes as a surprise that it?s getting on for five years since Anthony Callea burst onto the scene in Australian Idol. By Anthony?s own admission, it?s been a sweet ride. ?I can?t say I haven?t enjoyed it so far,? Anthony says with a laugh. ?You do have to put a huge amount of effort into it, but the rewards are great and you get a lot of satisfaction knowing how much people appreciate your work, and I?ve been really lucky there.?

Lucky, indeed. With an audience that extends from eight to eighty year olds, not to mention a rock-solid fan base in the gay community, Callea has an egg in every basket. And one of the privileges of that kind of popularity is the breadth of gigs he?s offered. ?Tell me about it,? Anthony says, ?When I did Idol, we were singing to backing tracks at the start, and now I get to be on stage with symphony orchestras.?Callea?s appearance with the ASO in Symphony Under the Stars on 31 January is another debut. ?I?ve heard a lot about the ASO over the years,? he says, ?it?s funny how certain names keep popping up, especially when you travel around the country, and I?d heard from a number of people how great they were. Then I was doing a gig with the Sydney Symphony and (conductor) Guy Noble was raving about them, and it was only the next week the ASO asked if I wanted to be in it, so I jumped at the chance. And I love Adelaide anyway, the audiences in Adelaide and Perth are the best in Australia by a long shot, so I never hesitate to come back!?

Callea is no stranger to big audiences, but Adelaide promises to be something else. ?I?ve done outdoor concerts with big crowds, but when I found out that the Symphony Under the Stars gets audiences of fifty thousand, I couldn?t even get an idea of what it must be like.? At least he?s had a run through, with Melbourne?s Carols by Candlelight on Christmas Eve. ?That was great for me,? Anthony agrees, ?being a Melbourne boy you understand that Carols by Candlelight is such a huge tradition, and you get about ten thousand people at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl, and fantastic talent to work with.? Including, in 2008, partner Tim Campbell. ?Yeah, we were on stage together for the first time,? Anthony replies. ?There?s were a lot of big names in the line-up, but I guess the organisers couldn?t resist putting us together!? (For the record, their performance of ?Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas? had the candles waving!)

In the lead up to the Adelaide concert, Anthony and Tim will be keeping a low profile. ?I don?t finish in Wicked until mid January,? he explains, ?and then I?ll be working on a new project and taking some time off so hopefully we can travel around together, which would be nice for a change instead of saying hi at airports!? As to the program for Adelaide, Callea?s keeping mum. ?We?re still working on it,? he confides, ?and I don?t want to give anything away but let?s just say it?s going to be huge for everyone.?

Symphony Under the Stars is in Elder Park on Saturday 31 January. If you want a great place, get there mid-afternoon and make a day of it.

#79 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

Posted by Lea

http://www.samesame....ate-In-2008.htm

Love And Hate In 2008
Samesame
Feature, By Christian Taylor
5-1-2009

Some shacked up, some were totally loved up and others split up. Same Same takes a look back over the rocky, romantic road that was 2008.

The A-list Aussie gay couple of last year was no doubt Anthony Callea and Tim Campbell. News of the pair?s romance became public during a radio interview last February on Vega 915 in Melbourne, when Campbell let it slip.

?There was stuff written in the paper a while ago? and actually Anthony and I are a bit of an item at the moment,? said Campbell. ?The question was asked a while ago and we weren?t, but we have gotten to a point where we are very happy together.?

Almost a year later and the pair are going strong! In a recent interview with Joy FM they were practically beaming when they were talking about living together.

As the saying goes, it?s better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all, which brings us to Carson Kressley and his brief relationship with Sydneysider George Maloukis. The pair caused waves back in May last year when they were snapped by paparazzi frolicking in speedos on Bondi Beach.

In August George revealed to Kyle Sandilands that he?d broken up with Carson on email. ?I know it?s wrong and I feel really bad,? he told 2Day FM radio. ?I just came home one day and I sent him an email, not thinking. Then I thought about it and sent him another email the next day saying I was so so sorry. I felt bad the way it was done.?

George later came into the Same Same forums to let people know his side of the story and to defend himself against claims that he was after ?15 minutes of fame?. ?I made it very clear to Carson that I wanted to be left out of the public eye,? wrote George. ?It?s not my fault pictures were taken at Bondi Beach.?

Last year was a big one for lesbian love. The announcement that DJ Samantha Ronson and Lindsay Lohan were together set the tabloids ablaze. During a DJ gig in Sydney Samantha blogged on her myspace, telling the world how much she was missing her girlfriend.

?So I?m here? in Sydney, it?s my first trip here. After a super long flight I am now a day ahead of New York ? kind of strange if you think about it. It?s yesterday there,? Ronson wrote on her Myspace. ?...I wish I was in New York so I could re-do yesterday and see someone I am missing??

Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi made headlines when they tied the knot last year. Ellen announced the news on her TV show in May saying, ?This is very exciting, I gotta say. Yesterday, if you haven?t heard, the California supreme court overturned a ban on gay marriage. So I would like to say, for the first time, I am announcing I am getting married.? The crowd gave her a standing ovation. De Rossi, who was in the audience, was beaming from ear to ear. When the applause stopped, Ellen added, ?Thank you. I?ll tell you who the lucky guy is soon.?

The pair married shortly after in August at a private, intimate ceremony at their Beverly Hills home on Saturday night. Although the smiles on their faces didn?t last too long. The passing of Proposition 8 saw gay marriage banned again only months later.

2008 was a big year for Jodie Foster. Early in 2008 she revealed to the world that she?d been in a long term relationship with Cydney Bernard and only months later the two split. They?d been together for 14 years and had two children together. Reports said that the relationship ended because Jodie had an affair with 51 year old producer and screenwriter Cynthia Mort.

Sex And The City star Cynthia Nixon spoke publicly about her relationship with Christine Marinoni. ?I?m in a fantastic relationship,? Nixon said proudly to the press, ?It?s been about four years.?

While some spent 2008 on cloud nine, others were taking their other halves to court. Comedian and Little Britain star Matt Lucas divorced his partner of six years, Kevin McGee, which made them the first celebrity pair to divorce since the UK?s civil partnership laws came into effect in December 2005.

And of course, there was Madonna?s split from hubby Guy Ritchie, who denied divorce rumours for months before officially confirming it in October through a statement from Madonna?s spokeswoman Liz Rosenberg, which read, ?Madonna and Guy Ritchie have agreed to divorce after seven and a half years of marriage? They have both requested that the media maintain respect for their family at this difficult time.?

While the pair said they wanted to keep it as amicable as possible, that didn?t stop Madonna from bad mouthing Ritchie, calling him an ?emotional retard? in front of thousands during a live performance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users