29 replies to this topic

#1 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

- Thank you to all members who contributed information, links, reviews and photos -

greeneyedkat_au
Mar 13 2006, 09:18 AM

From the Access All Areas website...

Melbourne singer, Anthony Callea, has kept low profile of late whilst writing and recording his follow up album but that isn't stopping Callea from being involved in the Commonwealth Games festivities.

Callea will be involved in a series of events in the lead-up to the 2006 Commonwealth Games this week including a special performance for Queen Elizabeth II.

Callea will also be one of the final runners for the official Batton Relay running with the likes of Grant Hackett and Nicole Livingstone, whilst also performing a free show at one of the Games' live sites.

Tomorrow (Monday), Anthony will be performing at the Commonwealth Day Service at St Andrews Cathedral, which will be presided over by Queen Elizabeth II and being broadcast live on the ABC at 12.35pm.

Anthony Callea is expected to release his new album in the second half of this year.

#2 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

vintage
Mar 13 2006, 10:52 AM

(toli @ Mar 13 2006, 10:48 AM)
Guys, we are in for a treat. It says in the Australian Newspaper that he will be singing "The Prayer" with the choir.

cant wait

Yes and with an orchestra as well....

The music at the service is under the direction of Ross Cobb, the Cathedral's recently arrived Director of Music, and will include music by the full Cathedral Choir, and an orchestra from across Sydney.

Anthony and the Choirsers on the steps of St Andrews Cathedral before rehearsals

user posted image

#3 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

pemaanso
Mar 14 2006, 11:34 AM

I received an update email from SonyBMG yesterday, and this is what it says -

"The Commonwealth Games kick off in Melbourne next week, and doin' his best to represent his home town will be Anthony Callea. Anth will be performing in front of the Queen, running in the Queen's Baton Relay AND putting on a free show. Check out Anthony's official site for all the details... And could there be a few secret performances at the opening and closing ceremonies?"

I sure hope it's true!!! How exciting!!! Now I really can't wait for the games to begin!!!

#4 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:47 AM

~em_crazy_4_anth~
Mar 13 2006, 11:21 AM

OMGGGG!!!!! 15 minutes!!! ahhhhhhhhh!!!
i just found this on the sony bmg site:

Anthony Callea Performs For The Queen; Represents Melbourne For The Games
Melbourne boy (and proud of it) Anthony Callea will be involved in a bevy of events in the lead-up to the 2006 Commonwealth Games in his home city next week, including a very special performance for Queen Elizabeth II (!!), running in the Official Baton Relay and performing at a special free gig. Details here...
It's time for Melbourne to shine with the 2006 Commonwealth Games kicking off next Wednesday, and who better to represent our fair nation in activities leading up to titanic event than Melbourne's own homegrown stars, including Anthony Callea!

First up on Monday, Anthony will be performing at the Commonwealth Day Service at St Andrews Cathedral, which will be presided over by none other than Queen Elizabeth II. This very special event will be broadcast live on the ABC at 12.35pm - DO NOT MISS IT!!!

#5 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:47 AM

MissCherryCola
Mar 13 2006, 11:49 AM

OMG i am totally speechless.

I still have tingles going up my spine and tears in my eyes.

The minute I turned on that Tv I knew I was about to experience something very special and as always Anthony didn't disappoint.

That was the most amazing performance I have heard in a longtime and I could only imagine what it would have been like to actually have been in that room.
No doubt the queen would have been mightly impressed, she would have to have been deaf not to.

I still have goosebumps thinking about it!

And didn't Anthony look cute with his hair slicked down like that!

WELL DONE ANTHONY ONCE AGAIN YOU HAVE DONE US VERY PROUD!!!!!!!!!

#6 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

pemaanso
Mar 13 2006, 12:09 PM

Yes he did sing The Prayer, and he was absolutely magnificent!!! The acoustics were beautiful there, although I did feel that the music was just a tad too loud during the peak, but Anth was bloody brilliant!!! He looked absolutely gorgeous, very stylish & suave, love that suit so much, he looked gorgeous in it when he sang at the sports awards too. The hair was such a shock, I'm still getting my head around it! He looks absolutely gorgeous, but I can't quite decide if I like it better than the spikes though. The man is hot no matter what though.

#7 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

In*Bed*With_Anthony*
Mar 13 2006, 02:40 PM

WOW!!!
I watched Anth's performance this arvo - bloody awesome vocal from our boy - FANTASTIC!!!
I thought Anth looked HOT!!!!
LURVE the new hair do - looks ALOT better, more mature, very european look - LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!
Keep the hair do dolls - your looking very SPUNKY darling!!!!

#8 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

mairanya
Mar 14 2006, 09:12 AM

I loved it.

I was surprised that anyone clapped. I thought the Queen looked as though she was clapping from the back view we had of her anyway.!
Having your head down doesn't mean you're not listening and her head shot up when he hit the high note 'che'. From news reports he was one of the few people she talked to, so I'm sure she was impressed.

Congatulations Anthony. You excel yourself and exceed my very high expectations every time.

#9 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

mucha
Mar 14 2006, 11:57 AM

I was really at a loss for words to describe how I felt about this. The butterflies that were churning in my stomach weren't from nerves, they were for the immense amount of pride that I was feeling while watching Anthony perform so graciously and brilliantly.

It was a world class performance matched by a world class image.

I loved how relaxed Anthony appeared and those lovely little joyful smiles and the light in his eyes were beautiful.
Congratulations Anthony.
Kerrixo

#10 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

Fleur
Mar 14 2006, 1:57 PM

Over the past two years (yes nearly two years folks) we?ve seen Anthony perform in many places; firstly on Australian Idol and then in Video clips, Concerts and other TV shows.

Now we see him sing during the Commonwealth Day Service. In the midst of all the hype of the Commonwealth Games the significance of this event may have escaped many of his fans.

It was different from other gigs he had done. Why? Because this was the first time the Commonwealth Day Service had ever been held outside Westminster Cathedral, London. It had nothing to do with the Games but was chosen as a moment when the Queen as Head of the Anglican Church could preside at a Service giving thanks for the Commonwealth.

You may have observed she did not clap. That was because Anthony?s song was seen as a gift to this Service. Many people were involved but it was just wonderful that Anthony was specially chosen.

The Prayer was just a beautiful and fitting choice. Surely his voice is a gift to all of us too and we all felt so proud that he was there in the midst of this sacred moment.

#11 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

Diissee
Mar 15 2006, 1:57 AM

When I first heard that Anthony was going to perform at the Commonwealth Day Service attended by the Queen I couldn?t believe it. I thought what an absolute honour ? to be invited to sing for the Head of the Commonwealth. This is surely acknowledgment of his success.
After a lot of procrastination I decided to go to the Cathedral to see the Queen of course (cough)

It was so crowded and very hot. I?d dragged a lady from work up with me and we managed a glimpse of the Queen?s hat as she entered the church. I?d been hoping to catch a sight of Anthony but everything was cordoned off. But there was a gigantic screen at the front of the church and enormous speakers.

Just close your eyes and imagine this...
George St is the busiest street in Sydney. St Andrew?s Cathedral shares the same block as the recently restored Sydney Town Hall and for this Gala event streets all around were blocked off. It was totally quiet. There was no traffic noise heard, people were crowded everywhere.

When the Most Rev Dr Peter Jensen the Archbishop of Sydney read the words ?Throughout the world people express their need for divine protection, safety, salvation & health in Prayer. Please welcome Anthony Callea as he now comes to express that feeling for the Prayer in song ?, my heart skipped a beat, I felt this enormous surge of pride and my knees went weak.

When he started to sing I went doubly weak at hearing his voice sing out through the quietened streets of the City, his face beaming from the screen for thousands to see. It was an amazing moment. Because of the Cathedral acoustics and the speakers he was simply brilliant - you really had to be there to appreciate it. I couldn?t believe how totally fantastic he sounded and looked.

People round me were totally mesmerized. My work friend said "I have goosebumps on my goosebumps?. At the end the crowd outside gave the first applause and cheer of the service. No-one seemed to care about protocol and then we heard applause from within the cathedral.

I was shaking with utter pride just seeing his face up there on the big screen and hearing his voice ring out across the city streets. This was his Gala performance, one that I will never forget.

I have never heard him sing this so well. Maybe it was the acoustic sound of the church and the orchestra, but this will go down in my books as his No. 1 performance. I honestly have never heard such a beautiful sound; it was just magical, something I could listen to every day and I do. I?ve replayed the tape every day since the service.

By all accounts the Queen too must have been impressed by Anthony?s performance as they later shared a lively chat at a reception at Admiralty House.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

#12 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:56 AM

NONNA
Mar 10 2006, 11:11 PM

Anthony is running at 4:00 pm. Performing at 4:30 pm
Two ACOF banners and flags will be in attendence.

Please bring your new flags... I suggest that members line teh running isle and the front stage area.

http://www.waterfrontcity.com.au/

15th M2006 Queens Baton Relay arrives at Waterfront City
Steve Cummings/The Black Sorrows/True Live from 3pm
Anthony Callea - acoustic set 4:30 pm
M2006 Opening Ceremony live on the screens
www.melbourne2006.com.au from 7:00 pm

Only 5 minutes from the CBD
Easy to reach by car, via numerous arterial roads, with an accessible network of entry and exit points, Waterfront City is on multiple tram and bus routes. Waterfront City is also accessible by taxis, ferries and water taxis, while wide promenades and bicycle paths will encourage those preferring a more relaxed pace.

Getting to Waterfront City:

By Bus:
A complimentary shuttle services is available to and from Waterfront City, Thurs-Sun 12:00pm-8:00pm. For further information please call Tania McDonald on 0421 029 873.

By Tram:
City Circle Tram (Free)
Tram #30 via Latrobe St to Docklands Drive
Mon-Fri 6am-6:30pm
Tram #31 via Collins St Melbourne to Collins St Docklands
7 days/week 10am-6:30pm
Tram #48 via Flinders St to Harbour Esplanade
7days/week
Tram #70 via Flinders St to Bourke St Docklands
7days/week
Tram #86 via Bourke Street to Telstra Dome
7days/week

By Train:
Catch the train to Spencer Street Station: walk West over the Bourke St. pedestrian bridge, North along Harbour Esplanade and along the Promenade to Waterfront City.

By Car:
Corner of Docklands Drive and Dopel Way, Docklands Vic 3008.
Mel Ref: 2E D4.

By Yarra River Shuttle Service:
Board from Federation Square, Southgate, Melbourne Aquarium, Crown or Exhibition Centre.

From the Commonwealth Games Website:

Mr Anthony Callea, Leg 95
The 2004 runner-up of Australia Idol, Anthony has become one of Australia's best loved entertainers. His debut single, the extraordinary version of Andrea Bocelli's 'The Prayer', not only held the No. 1 position for five consecutive weeks, it has become the fastest selling Australian single of all time and the highest selling Australian single ever!

Where carrying the Baton: Starting in Docklands at 16:03, Anthony will carry the baton along Esplanade Walk from Central Pier and finish at Fish Bar on New Quay Promenade.

#13 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:57 AM

vintage
Mar 15 2006, 06:41 AM

user posted image

Baton relay ready for Queen
Date: 15/03/06
seven.com.au

The Queen's Baton makes its final journey - one year and one day after it left Buckingham Palace - delivered into the hands of the monarch by a final mystery runner.

After travelling 180,000 kms through the 71 nations of the Commonwealth and passing through the hands of the famous and the anonymous, the baton will be the focus of the glittering Commonwealth Games opening ceremony.

Some time after 8pm (AEDT) the Queen will read a message carried in the 90cm, 1.5kg baton, and declare the 18th Commonwealth Games open.

The final day of the baton's journey will feature 2004 Australian Idol finalist Anthony Callea, World Vision CEO Tim Costello, Bali bombing survivor Jason McCartney and television identity Jessica Rowe.

The route takes the baton through the city's west, via Carlton, Sunshine and bayside Williamstown, where it will be taken aboard the tall ship Enterprize for the short trip to the Docklands.

Swimming champion Grant Hackett will carry the baton just after 4pm (AEDT) through Melbourne's Docklands, where it will board the Royal Barge to travel down the Yarra River to the Melbourne 2006 Games' headquarters for safekeeping.

The identity of the runner to hand the baton to the Queen at the MCG opening ceremony remains a closely-guarded secret.

On Tuesday night, tens of thousands of people gathered in central Melbourne for a huge two-hour street party to welcome the Queen's Baton on the eve of the Commonwealth Games' Opening Ceremony.

The event, which blocked Bourke Street Mall to all transport, attracted more than 20,000 revellers, organisers said.

#14 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

user posted imageuser posted image

#15 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

Take it to the Heart
post Mar 16 2006, 12:44 PM

user posted image

Here are 3 caps we took off the 3 second news report on Anthony. Our first time of doing this so it took awhile. And he was moving fast so they came out a bit blurry.
Anyway hope you like them.

#16 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

#17 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

crazy4callea
Mar 15 2006, 04:00 PM

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

*BREATHS*

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGOMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG....

Best day EVER...*faints*

#18 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

canballball
Mar 15 2006, 05:09 PM

i m soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tired......................

i ran side by side with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He ran very fast man!!!!

i got autograph and pic with him again

he sang 5 songs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and..... he cut his hair today morning again

#19 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:10 AM

canballball
Mar 15 2006, 05:18 PM

he sang 6 songs!!!!! not 5 !!!
he sang Rain, HSB, Into your heart , I want You , BOTW, Per Sempre!!!!!!

#20 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:10 AM

fongo
Mar 15 2006, 10:33 PM

It was such a good day, seeing Anth running with the baton, watching him performing, it had been a while, so was good to hear the voice live again, and meeting fellow acof forumers, it was really great to meet you all, see you all at the next instore .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users