#1 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Here is a list of frequently asked questions to assist members.

1. What should I save my images as?

Most images on the internet are saved as GIF (.gif) or JPEG (.jpeg/.jpg) images. To make a higher quality signature, first save it as a BITMAP (.bmp) and later save it as a JPEG -.
Software Programmes: Paint Shop Pro & Photoshop.

2. How do I make an avatar?
This is simple. According to the official forum guidelines, your avatar cannot exceed a pixel height and width of 64, hence most avatars are a size of 64x64.

If you are using a program such as Paint Shop Pro (PSP)or Photoshop, start out by making a new canvas, sized 64x64 pixels. Modify the image you'd like to use for your avatar to fit into this 64x64 canvas, add some text save and upload to an image host*.

3. How do I make a signature?

Same guidelines as an avatar, only on a much bigger scale.
Canvas size must comply with forum guidelines.
Image dimensions must not exceed 500x150 pixels,
no greater than 100KB (100,000 bytes)

If you are using a program such as Paint Shop Pro (PSP) or Photoshop, start out by making a new canvas, sized 500x150 pixels. Modify the image you'd like to use for your signature , add some text save and upload to an image host*.

4. How do I make my signature/avatar move?

Animated images are done using GIF images �GIF files allows animation.
Software PSP - "Animation Shop".
Again please ensure that they meet forum guidelines.

5. Can someone make me a signature/avatar?
There are a lot of talented graphics members already offering their services on the forum. Just look around and post in their threads.

6. How do I post my signature or avatar?

Adding your avatar Tutorial
1. Go to Edit Avatar Settings in My Controls.
2. If you wish to link to an avatar, simply insert the URL in to the text box and hit the 'Add this avatar to my profile' button. OR Click the 'Choose file' button and locate the avatar file you have created on your hard drive.
3. Check the avatar size settings and then hit the 'Add this avatar to my profile' button.

Adding your signature Tutorial
1. Go to Edit Signature in My Controls.
2. Enter your signature in to the provided text box. You can add an image using the [IMG] tag just like you would do in a post.
3. Click 'Update my signature'

*Image Hosts:
www.photobucket.com
www.imageshack.com

Tutorials:
Paint Shop Pro
http://kathzil.nl/tutorials/blinkies/
http://www.sarahsweb...es/tutorial.php
http://www.valsvisions.com/

PhotoShop
http://www.designsbymark.com/pstips/
http://www.aiyaz.net...ials/photoshop/
http://www.teamphotoshop.com/
http://www.spyroteknik.com/
http://steeldolphin.com/tutorials.php
http://www.tutorialforums.com/

Graphics experts out there. I would love to hear of any changes or any recommendations.

I have edited this thread added Harrys & Jai's post.

Have fun!!!!!!!! off to knit a scarf....

- Thank you NONNA -

#2 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

From JAI:

Also see: Harry's FAQ

Here is a list of frequently asked questions to help those of you who dont have a clue what they're doing!

What should I save my images as?
If you're only just starting out, and dont already know, most images on the internet are saved as GIF (.gif) or JPEG (.jpeg/.jpg) images. To make a higher quality signature, first save it as a BITMAP (.bmp) and later save it as a JPEG - this is what I do, and what I recommend if you're using Paint Shop Pro.

How do I make an avatar?
This is simple. According to the official forum guidelines, your avatar cannot exceed a pixel height and width of 64, hence most avatars are a size of 64x64.

You are able to use any image/s you would like, but please be considerate - no such things as . or vulgar language should be included, thats just common sense.

If you are using a program such as Paint Shop Pro (PSP), start out by making a new canvas, sized 64x64 pixels. From here its easy peasy - modify the image you'd like to use for your avatar to fit into this 64x64 canvas, add some text and hey presto! You have a simple avatar.

Of course, practice makes perfect - noone is a whizz with images when they start, so the more you practice and try different things, the better you will become.

Avatars should also have a file size no larger than 50k.

How do I make a signature?
Once again, this is simple. Its much the same as making an avatar, only on a much bigger scale. You can use multiple images and include more text also.

When making a siggy, please be considerate with the size of your canvas - making one which is too big will make pages load slower for those who have dial up internet and are surfing at a slower pace (I speak from experience!). Same with having multiple signatures - there are no restrictions to how many you are allowed to have (as far as I know), but once again, please be considerate - if you have 5 signatures at one time, this will obviously take much longer to load.

Once again, start off in your imaging program - I like to use PSP, and will usually refer to this program. Make a new canvas - you choose the size - most people like to go for something rectangular, and not *too* big. Just suss out everyone else's signatures to get a bit of an idea.

Modify your images to fit into your sig canvas how you want, like you did with your avatar. Once again, a lot of practice will be handy, and fooling around with the program/s you're using will help too - so you'll better understand it/them, and so you'll get an idea of what cool effects you can do/add to your images.

Adding text will funk up your siggy even more, but be aware that there are children surfing this forum, so if you choose not to make a Delta related avatar, be considerate of them. Also be aware of your spelling - one common spelling mistake is "your my butterfly...", which should be "you're my butterfly". This isnt such a big problem... I think its just a me thing lol!

How do I make my signature/avatar move?
This is a little bit harder, depending on what you want to move.

Animated images are done using GIF images - this is basically another way of saving your images, as apposed to saving them as JPEGs. Saving them as GIFs allows them to be animated, and this can be done using a proper animation program, such as the one that comes with PSP - "Animation Shop".

It is done with a series of images, each one different from the other. It is best to use an animation program, as this is a little harder for me to explain, and it makes it easier. Playing around with your programs to see what they can do will help you out greatly. As I said before, you'll get a better understanding of what you will be able to do, and practice makes perfect!

Can someone make me a signature/avatar?
There are LOADS of people willing to make signatures and/or avatars for you! Just look around on the forum, and post in their threads.

There are also people, such as myself, who make up a whole heap of sigs and avs for everyone to use. Some people are willing to make personalised ones, and others make them free for *everyone* to use. Just look around!

Can I use someone else's sig/avatar?
The best thing to do is ask the person. Free-for-all avatars and signatures are the best way to go, if you dont want to get in trouble for using someone else's images.

Where can I get some signatures or avatars from?
People are always posting free-for-all images. Others have websites set up, dedicated to showcasing their free-for-all sigs and avs. Do a forum search for signature and avatar related threads and links, or head on over to Raging Beauty to hunt down some website url's!

How do I post my sig/av?
Avatars are pretty easy to post - once youve logged into the forum, head on over to My Contorls and go from there - you can simply upload an avatar from your computer, and it should work. Easy as falling off a log!

Signatures are a bit harder, because it uses a little (or a lot) of HTML, which can get pretty confusing. First you'll need to upload your avatar to a site which will host images. Dont use something like GeoCities, try www.boomspeed.com or do a Google search for Image Hosting.

Once youve uploaded your sig to your account, make sure you remember the url, and once again, head on over to My Controls. If you have a look down the left hand side, there will be a link related to your signature. Once youve opened that link, it will display your current sig (or lack of) and have a box where you can post stuff into, like when you're posting a topic. If you want to post writing, its pretty simple - just write it in the box and go from there, but to post an image, you will need to click on the IMG button up top, and enter the url your sig is at. If Ive explained it so you understand, and if youve done it correctly from my explaining, your sig should work! Good luck!

Got any more image tips?
I recommend doing a Google search on the program you are going to use, and looking for tutorials. Tutorials are basically a step by step way of showing you how to achieve different effects with the program you are using. Also looking in the Help files of your program is handy, it will offer a *lot* of assistance when you dont know what you're doing!

Asking more questions is the way to go too, but ask someone you know will know the answer - theres no point asking someone who is just as clueless as you may be!

If anyone has any further questions I am happy to answer!

#3 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

FROM HARRY:

Hey Everyone,
A lot of people have been asking how do you make a signature and how do you put them in. Well here are some handy tips !

What Is A Signature?
A signature is a small graphic made of someone or something that you use to promote something or show off. It can be no bigger than 500x150 and has to be either 100kb or under. Here is an example:

How Do I Make A Signature?
You can make signature's with programs like Adobe Photoshop and Jasc Paint Shop Pro. There is also Paint, Photostudio and many other programs. Click the links to go to the websites and look up some trials. Here is a signature tutorial site which I very highly recommend http://rendezv0us.org/.

What Is An Avatar?
An Avatar is also like a signature but can be a size up to 64x64. It can be no larger than 50kb. Here is an example:

What Should I Save My Images As?
Transparent Signatures/Avatars - Gif
Moving Signatures/Avatars - Gif
Jasc Paint Shop Pro Still Signatures/Avatars - Gif
Adobe Photoshop Still Signatures/Avatars - Jpeg
Layouts - Jpeg

Can Someone Make Me A Signature Or Avatar?
Of course! Lot's of people are willing to make you signatures or avatars. Just remember to send them an email instead of making a new topic if you want to request something personally. Soon lot's of people will have request topics so it's only a matter of time.

Can I Use Someone Else's Signature/Avatar?
Before you use it ask the person if you can use it. If they say no maybe you should request another one off them.

How Do I Upload My Signature/Avatar?
Two great website hosts are www.photobucket.com and www.imageshack.us. You have to register on photobucket but it's free. You can also register on Imageshack but you don't have to. Once it's uploaded copy and paste the [IMG] tag here.

Tutorial/Brushes
Before you post a completely new topic asking where can I get tutorial sites or brushes etc check in Google.

I hope this has helped people! If Admin/Mods want to change anything go straight ahead !

Harry

#4 caroline88

caroline88

Ave Maria

• Members
  • 80,444 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:46 AM

Thanks Admins, great tips. :)

2v2jsr6.jpg

Anthony Callea Is Totally Awesome !

Anthony Callea Is Totally Rock !