Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

Posted by diissee

http://www.visionaus...ge=1186#anthony

Anthony Callea

One of the most popular singers in Australia, Anthony first came to prominence in the 2004 series of Australian Idol. He currently holds the record for the highest-selling single and fastest-selling single in Australia for his debut single, The Prayer, which featured on his self-titled, multi-platinum debut album.

His new album, A New Chapter introduces the world to his writing talents, Anthony co-wrote all but one of the 15 tracks. But he will not be disappointed if his new work doesn't break records. "Just believing in what you're doing and being true to yourself in what you're delivering, that equally classifies as success," he says.

Anthony has sung the national anthem at many major events, including the Rugby League Tri-Nations Game and the Australian Grand Prix. He has also performed at the Royal Gala for Princess Mary and Prince Frederick of Denmark, and for Queen Elizabeth II.

This is Anthony's third appearance at Vision Australia's Carols by Candlelight.

#23 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:44 PM

Posted by diissee

Lorin to Jam with Idol
8-12-2006
Source: Warwick

By JOSEPHINE SARGENT MANY musicians would dream about jamming with Anthony Callea in front of a huge audience but for Lorin Nicholson it has become a reality. This Christmas Eve Mr Nicholson will play at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl for the Vision Australia's Carols by Candlelight. It is the first time Mr Nicholson has been invited to play at the fundraiser alongside ex-Australian Idol Anthony Callea. An estimated two and a half million people will be watching the carols on television,Mr Nicholson said. It's a national broadcast and I'm just so excited and honoured to be invited to play.

Mr Nicholson said he was known to Vision Australia because he was legally blind. Vision Australia asked me to send down a CD because they were thinking of including me for the carols, he said It was unbelievable when they called me and told me I'd be playing with Anthony Callea.

Mr Nicholson said his music would complement Mr Callea's voice. Anthony is the flavour of the month and has a wonderful voice, he said. He's very professional and his voice is almost like that of a tenor.

Mr Nicholson said his music wasn't pop but it would go well with Mr Callea, He said when his four children found out he'd be playing with Mr Callea they all wanted to go to Melbourne with him. Everyone's just so excited (about the show), it's sensational,Mr Nicholson said.

To be able to perform at such a huge national event just floored me. Mr Nicholson has only been playing professionally for 3 years. I'm an independent artist so it was a big surprise to be invited to an event like this, Mr Nicholson said. It's usually only signed-acts that go, so it's a great way to lift my profile with industry professionals.

Mr Nicholson said he had only dreamed of the opportunity to play at a national event with well-known musicians. He said 8000 people a year were diagnosed with an eye condition that could not be corrected with glasses so Vision Australia was a worthwhile charity to support. The Vision Australia's Carols by Candlelight will be broadcast by Channel 9 at 9pm on Christmas Eve.

#24 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:45 PM

Posted by i LoV3 aNtHoNy

Finding His Voice, Album Review
The Advertiser, Adelaide
14-12-2006

http://i6.photobucke.../scan0001-1.jpg

#25 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

Posted by jaffa

Newcastle Herald

Blind guitarist Lorin Nicholson will forgo a Christmas break to perform with Anthony Callea at Carols By Candlelight in Melbourne.

Nicholson wraps up two days of motivational workshops at the Hunter School of Performing Arts today and will now start preparing for the Dec 24 gig.

"I've really had a hectic year, just coming off the road after seven months travelling around the country and thought I'd get a break over Christmas, but I don't mind interrupting that in the least for this important event," he said.
Nicholson will play along side The Australian idol runner-up, who will lead the singing.

#26 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:51 PM

Posted by Sue

Nine's Party
Herald Sun
9-12-2006

The Waterfront in Port Melbourne was the venue for the annual Channel 9 media Christmas party.

Anthony Callea was the special guest performer this year and it was new Melbourne boss Gary Pert's first official outing.

#27 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:53 PM

Posted by fongo

Burning Ambition
The Age Newspaper
12-12-2006

http://www.theage.co...5685616821.html

ANTHONY Callea, the Idol runner-up who's more successful than winner Casey Donovan, performed a few numbers at Nine's publicity bash last week to the delight of Peter Hitchener, Jo Hall, Wham-Bam Sam and news director Michael "Yeah baby, he's got it" Venus.

On the keyboard was Mark Amato, the former piano man on Moonface's GMA who has been gigging with Anthony to plug his album A New Chapter.

The Idol graduate will serenade the Myer Music Bowl swayers at Carols by Candlelight, telling us his aunty, Caterina Barberi, had a memorable time last year.

After spending the night telling kiddies to be careful waving their candles, the next day at Christmas lunch, Anthony noticed a singed odour. It was Caterina's hair. Damn candles.

#28 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

Posted by diissee

Delta Comes Home For Christmas
Undercover.com.au - Your Daily Music Fix
By Andrew Tijs
12-12-2006

Platinum pop princess Delta Goodrem returns to Australia for Christmas.

Goodrem has been working in the UK, US and Japan for almost two years following her own fears that Australians were getting sick of her. But the prodigal pop teen has announced her return. She told Sydney's Daily Telegraph "I think it is time I came back home."

During an interview for A Current Affair on December 11 she seemed desperate to return for the festive season, announcing she and Westlife boyfriend Brian McFadden will perform at the annual Carols By Candlelight at Sidney Myer Music Bowl on Christmas Eve. Also performing on the night are Anthony Callea, David Campbell and Kane Alexander.
While Goodrem has kept a low profile in Australia, she has certainly been busy of late. Earlier in the year she featured on Tony Bennett's new album 'Duets: An American Classic'.

She also released a compilation of her selected tracks from her first two albums in Japan as 'Innocent Eyes', which hit number eight on the charts in November. It contains a new track, 'Flawed' written specifically for a Japanese film 'Adiantum Blue'.

Goodrem spent time last year writing tracks for her third album, due in 2007.

#29 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

Posted by diissee

A New Chapter Review
Herald Sun -HiT Review: 3 1/2 Stars
By Cameron Adams

http://i77.photobuck...cles/img715.jpg

Anthony Callea played the Idol game with his double platinum debut album, singing other people's songs and singing them damn well.

In Idolworld, that earns him the right to co-write his second album with the best hitmakers his record company's money can buy.

The result, A New Chapter is an album of two halves - ballads and pop. Indeed, it was going to be a double album until someone surely pointed out he's not Christina Aguilera. Callea has the voice to carry off big - and we're talking industrial strength - ballads. For emotion, the dramatic title track wipes the floor with bland lead single Live For Love, a bizarre choice considering it's the only track Callea didn't have a hand in writing.The title track's production is immense and the orchestration stirring, Callea lifting up a notch or 12 as the strings soar towards the heavens. Anyone looking for a surrogate The Prayer should look no further.

Callea occupies an unusual place in the local pop world, selling to housewives and their daughters. That dual appeal explains the album's other side - mid-tempo guitar pop. Perfect Mistake is pop with more edge than he's displayed in the past. Producer Tom Nichols (Kylie, Stephanie McIntosh) throws everything at the song - strings, guitars, huge key changes - to create a lush mini-epic.

Stranded, too, sounds like a hit in waiting. The guitars are pumped up; it's hardly Metallica but instantly updates his sound.

Addicted to You and Almost start off interestingly before their choruses veer too close to John Farnham soft-rock territory, the slick production removing any rough edges. At 15 tracks it's also too long. There's too many similar tempo guitar/pop songs and ballads that start to lessen each other's impact.Callea has learnt to hold back on the vocal acrobatics, so a simple orchestrated ballad like Here I Go Again doesn't get swamped, while Heartbeat is still your obligatory power ballad, but with a refreshing subtlety. At the end of the day, A New Chapter is a solid second album. Once he starts taking a few more risks, Callea will really come into his own.

In a word: personal

#30 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

Posted by Joseph-Martin

A New Chapter, As Reviewed by
Daily Telegraph
30-11-2006

"Callea appears to have beaten the second album curse with the follow-up to his post Idol debut.

He knows exactly what kind of song will allow him to show off those powerful pipes and the opening title track, Live For Love, nails it.

But he has refused to rest on his big ballads, stretching his repertoire into Rob Thomas-style soft rockers (Addicted To You and If Only).

Equally impressive are Chong Lim's orchestral arrangements and the overall production which demonstrate world-class albums can indeed be made in Oz." KM

It was rated 3.5 stars.

#31 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

Posted by diissee

Delta's Down Under Carols
Herald Sun
By Cameron Adams
9-12-2006

DELTA Goodrem is returning home to headline this year's Carols by Candlelight.

Goodrem will perform at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl on Christmas Eve for Channel 9's traditional festive gala.
It will be her first performance in Melbourne since the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony in March.

"I'm so excited to be coming home for Christmas and even more so to be asked to perform on the carols," Goodrem said yesterday.

"Christmas has always meant so much to me -- it's going to be very special celebrating Christmas Eve with everybody."

Goodrem's boyfriend, singer Brian McFadden, will accompany her on the trip, spending Christmas with her family in Sydney.

The pair have been dating for two years.

Also performing at this year's carols will be Anthony Callea, David Campbell, Kane Alexander, with others to be announced.

Goodrem, 22, has spent the year writing songs for her third album, due for release next year.

She has also scored a belated hit album and single in Japan.

#32 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:07 PM

Posted by the_voice

Idols Chart Success
Daily Telegraph
4-12-2006

http://i4.photobucke...a_2003/damo.jpg

AUSTRALIAN Idols Damien Leith and Anthony Callea have taken over the charts this week.

The newest Australian Idol, Damien Leith, has shot to the top of the Motorola ARIA singles chart with Night Of My Life, the song with which he won the reality TV singing competition last month.

Meanwhile, Anthony Callea, a previous runner-up on the show, has entered the Motorola ARIA albums chart with his second offering, A New Chapter. Il Divo, the operatic boy band created by American Idol judge Simon Cowell, has also entered the charts in the top ten.

Their album Siempre debuted on the albums chart at number two, not quite enough to knock Irish rockers U2 off the top spot.

And the group to come out of the Idol factory, the Young Divas, are still making their presence felt in the charts at number six with their self-titled album and number ten with their single Happenin' All Over Again.

Australian Motorola ARIA singles chart

1(-) Night Of My Life - Damien Leith (SBME)
2(1) I Don't Feel Like Dancin' - Scissor Sisters (PDR/UMA)
3(2) Irreplaceable - Beyonce (COL/SBME)
4(5) I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker (with Flowers In My Hair) - Sandi Thom (SBME)
5(3) My Love - Justin Timberlake Feat. T.I. (JVE/SBME)
6(4) Smack That - Akon Feat. Eminem (UMA)
7(6) The Saints Are Coming - U2 Feat. Green Day (ISL/UMA)
8(8) U + Ur Hand - P!nk (LAF/SBME)
9(7) I Don't Need A Man - The Pussycat Dolls A&(M/UMA)
10(9) Happenin' All Over Again - Young Divas (SBME)

Australian Motorola ARIA albums chart

1(1) U218 SINGLES - U2 (ISL/UMA)
2(-) Siempre - Il Divo (SBME)
3(3) Eyes Open - Snow Patrol (PDR/UMA)
4(2) Love - The Beatles (EMI)
5(5) Dancing In The Street: The Songs Of Motown II - Human Nature (SBME)
6(4) Young Divas - Young Divas (SBME)
7(6) I'm Not Dead - P!nk (LAF/SBME)
8(7) Ultimate Kylie - Kylie Minogue (MSH/WAR)
9(-) A New Chapter - Anthony Callea (SBME)
10(10)Black Fingernails, Red Wine - Eskimo Joe (MSH/WAR)

#33 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

Posted by diissee

CHARTS #1: LEITH, CALLEA, CONTINUES "OZ IDOL" RUN
www.music.com.au

Irish leprechaun "Oz Idol" winner Damien Leith's debut single "Night Of My Life" debuted the ARIA chart this week at #1 -- the eighth "Australian Idol" chart topper since Guy Sebastian in 2003. It also entered at #5 on the ARIA digital chart.

It was fastest selling single for SonyBMG this year, going instant gold (sales of 35,000). Altogether, the label shipped 70,000 to stores. Last week it was the most added track on radio. Last week, in between mad promotion and celebration, Leith got the time to celebrate his wife Eileen's birthday. We hear his instant celebrity has another result: he's pitching a book he's been writing since he left Ireland. It's about how someone travels to the other end of the world to find himself. And makes a million bucks?

Anthony Callea's album "A New Chapter" debuted at #9. Altogether there are six singles in the Top 50 from "Idol" contestants, and three in the album charts.

CHARTS #2: ANOTHER RUN FOR "WHISPERING JACK"
John Farnham's "Whispering Jack" is back in the charts, coming in at #55. It was re-released by SonyBMG to celebrate its 20th anniversary. It has sold 1.7 million in Australia -- the best selling Australian album of all time, according to ARIA, with 24 x platinum. It was #1 from 25 weeks; it is estimated that one in four households has a copy. At the time, it became the first Australian album to sell 1 million copies from Australian sales alone.

The album of course turned Farnham's fortunes forever. Until then, his career was nowhere, and he was living in a rented house

The track that set the album off was, of course, "You're The Voice" -- the 2,000th song that Farnham, manager Glenn Wheatley and producer Ross Fraser listened to for the album.

Music executives agree that it will be a long time before "Whispering Jack" is toppled as top Oz seller. The runner up is Delta Goodrem's "Innocent Eyes" with 980,000, followed by Savage Garden's self titled debut album with 840,000, with Crowded House's "Recurring Dream" and Farnham's "Age Of Reason" at 770,000.

CHARTS #3: OTHER AUSSIE DEBUTS
On the singles side, new act James Kannis debuted at #35 with "Love 2 Love", Jet at #67 with "Rip It Up" and Kasey Chambers at #74 with "Surrender".

On the album side, there were two releases associated with the late Steve Irwin. At #57 entered Bindi Irwin's "Bindi Kidfitness With Steve Irwin & The Crocmen", while at #78 came John Williamson's "Wildlife Warrior: It's Time."

The 3-CD set of the "Countdown Spectacular" entered at #76.

#34 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:55 PM

Posted by diissee

'A NEW CHAPTER'
Aria Chartifacts W/e 4/12/2006,

Albums

What ever happened to Chivalry?! The lads of the music circuit dominate the chart this week, taking out the top five places. The U2 onslaught continues with the super-group taking out the #1 spot for the second consecutive week with U218 Singles . Meanwhile, Siempre , the latest offering from the Il Divo boys makes its stunning debut at #2, closely followed by Snow Patrol at #3 with Eyes Open . The Love masterpiece by The Beatles moves up two spots and settles for #4, while the lads from Human Nature remain stationed at #5 again this week with Dancing In The Street: The Songs of Motown II . Representing the ladies, Australian Idol darlings, Young Divas hum into #6 with their self-titled debut, followed by P!nk at #7 with the relentless, I'm Not Dead . Pop princess, Kylie moves up one place and crowns the #8 spot with Ultimate Kylie . The little man with the huge voice, Anthony Callea debuts at #9 with A New Chapter . Finally, Oz rockers Eskimo Joe remain at the #10 spot with their almighty Black Fingernails, Red Wine .

A NEW CHAPTER

Artist: Anthony Callea Position: No.9
From 2004 Australian Idol runner-up to current holder of Australia 's fastest-selling single, Anthony Callea has become a household name. Callea has emerged as one of the finest voices in the Australian pop scene since his stunning self-titled debut, which hit #1 for three consecutive weeks in April, 2005. A New Chapter is the singer's second offering and features a dynamic set of tracks, which were co-written and co-produced by Callea himself.

#35 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

Posted by diissee

5 Minutes With Anthony Callea
Sunday Sydney Telegraph -Music Entertainment
By Peter Holmes
3-12-2006

http://i77.photobuck...ly21/img719.jpg

#36 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

Posted by vintage

Q music: with Anthony Callea
Q Magazine (a free publication)
December 2006
Issue 31

I was equally excited to speak with Anthony Callea - having previously met him at a SonyBMG function. We too met at the SonyBMG office and I commenced the interview by asking Anthony;

did he prefer singing slow or fast songs�or didn�t it matter.

I don�t like to pigeon hole myself, and that�s why with this album, I wanted to have different elements to it. I wanted to explore different parts of my voice and push myself to new levels. I think that�s why it took a good year to put this album together � I didn�t want to rush it. I started working on it in November last year, went overseas for a month � Milan, Sweden, London, Oslo � to work with some amazing writers [you don�t get that chance based in Australia], then I came back and worked with local writers for the first part of this year making sure I had as much material as possible to choose from. The first album was virtually put together in two weeks [which everyone knows] and this time I didn�t want to rush things. I couldn�t do anything more to make this album better � out of the 15 tracks on it, I co-wrote 14. It�s great to sit here and talk about an album that I don�t have to force comments about, because each song has got a meaning to it � it�s a great feeling to know that it�s a part of you that you�re putting out there.

The Idol experience � any negative feeling about it now?

I don�t see it as a negative, I see it as embracing what you have done in the past. Idol is a great platform � there are so many Idol bashers out there, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion � and that [platform] is so important.

I started writing and recording at the age of 15 in a studio in South Melbourne � my parents used to drive me there 2 or 3 times a week � which was such a great learning curve for me. Listening back to the tracks that we wrote and recorded � they�re #### � but it taught me how to record in a studio, how to start writing � everything you do to get to where you are � whether you make mistakes or achieve success, is always going to teach you something, and Idol is one of those. You are thrown into a situation that you know nothing about. All of a sudden you�ve got camera crews, publicists, directors, producers � all different elements that create that one environment. The thing with Idol is you have to take in as much as possible, learn from it, and enjoy it. It was a great part of my life.

How do you think this year�s going?

I think it�s a really strong year. Compared to last year, I think this year is a lot more entertaining - I don�t know what it is, maybe it�s the new set, maybe it�s everything - it just seems more exciting this year.

Will you be touring with this album? I listened to it just before I came here this morning, and I loved it by the way.

Fingers crossed, I�ll be able to tour early next year. The plan is to get the album out there first. A couple of singles as well, then take it on the road and make this album come to life.

What has the journey been like for you�has it been a great experience?

Absolutely!

I think the best way to put it is that the first year / year and a half was a total whirlwind � so many things happened � 4 or 5 singles, an album, a DVD, a tour, events � I got to the end of it, and I started thinking I was living in a bubble � and I appreciate everything that went on in that time � but then I needed time away to let it sink in, accept it, embrace it, to be proud of it � toward the end it had started to feel like a chore and that�s when I knew I needed to take a break. In the last few months though I�ve been like ok give me a schedule, I�m ready, I want people to tell me what I�m doing every day. You have to want to do it or there�s no use doing it. Having an album now that I am really proud of, and I put 110% into, day and night � to be able to say this is part of me, this is my creation � is a great feeling.

#37 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:02 PM

Posted by Sue
With thanks Nessi

Woman's Day
December, 2006

http://i5.photobucke...essi80/Anth.jpg

#38 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

Posted by rainbow99

'New Fan' - Letter to the Editor
Herald Sun - Hit Section
30-11-2006

'Dear Hit

I was drowning under the Christmas creep of cashed-up compilations and covers...Human Nature, David Campbell, Marica Hines, Young Divas, Patrizio, IlDivo, Westlife. No-life. ENOUGH!

But you threw me a lifeline, Cameron Adams, and sent me scampering in a different direction.

That freshly shorn songbird Anthony Callea has set me on quite the rollercoaster of musical emotions this week with his latest collection of original self-penned tunes.

What an unexpected and enchanting aural treat his new album has delivered.

It seems I might now survive the silly season, after all, with Callea, Augie March, and James Morrison safely housed in my IPod.

Fluer, via email'

#39 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

Posted by diissee

Turning The Page
Saturday Sydney Daily Telegraph
By Kathy McCabe
2-12-2006

Callea's an Open Book

http://i77.photobuck...cles/img712.jpg

http://i77.photobuck...cles/img717.jpg

#40 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

Posted by Kezzad

UP UP AND AWAY
Melbourne's MX
Dina Rosendorff
November, 2006

Anthony Callea has finally left Idol behind and started a new chapter in his musical career.

Don't get him wrong, Anthony Callea appreciates the launch Australian Idol gave his music career.
But he is ready to move onwards (and hopefully upwards) with a new album and a new sound.
the title of his latest album, A New Chapter, says it all.

"From day one it seemed like the perfect title, having that time off to embrace what's happened in the past. The first year was just massive, with release after release and tour after tour... you need that time to step back from it all and take it all in because you start feeling like you're living in a bubble, you start going loopy" he said.

The Melbourne boy has also left the management team he was assigned to post-idol and has signed with Peppermint Blue, managers of Rogue Traders and TV Rock. Not by coincidence, his latest sound is deliberately edgier, with more guitar grit and rock riffs.

"I didn't want this album to be so technically-correct, if the emotion's there that's more important."
Callea travelled to London, Sweden, Milan and Oslo to work with the best pop people in the business including Paul Wilshire (Backstreet Boys, Human Nature) Gary Clark (Natalie Imbruglia) and Tom Nichols (Kylie Minogue).
In the hands of experienced professionals, Callea has pushed himself in different directions.
"There are tracks where I want people to say "it didn't sound like you". and I think that's great. I didn't want to play it safe." He said.

But the singer is quick to point out there are still several ballads on the new album.
"Everyone knows me for my ballads, that's not a bad thing at all. It probably comes a lot more naturally to me."

The debut single, Live For Love. is one such anthem and the video clip features footage provided by Amnesty International and Save the Children.
Like Callea himself, the song is upbeat and optimistic.

"When you come home from work and turn on the news, the first stories are always negatuive, they're always the bad things that have happened in life. They never usually start off with anything that's positive, and I think that should be turned around." he said.

As for his Ido roots. Callea alludes to the well-reported mechanical nature of the talent show, where contestants relinquish creative control as a trade-off for stardom.

For me, this is the first album that I have a connection with personally." he said.
"When I was recording in the studio, you don't have to overthink anything because they're your words and then you've put them into a song and you've put your emotions and thoughts into it, you don't have to force anything anymore, it just comes naturally."

He laughs at suggestions latest idod pin-up boy Ricky Muscat has ripped off his style.

"He's a brilliant R&B singer and I'm so not and R&B singer. Vocally we're quite differnt. But comming from the same town, that's funny - it's not a big place, Werribee.

A New Chapter (Sony BMG) is out now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users