Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:38 AM

Posted by pearl

Email From Stephen Schwartz

Two days after "An Audience With The Cast of Wicked" aired on Sat 5 July on Foxtel, I emailed Stephen Schwartz the youtube link of Anthony singing "When You Believe" and introducing him as our wonderfully talented artist who has just undertaken his tour of duty as Boq for the Australia production. Both he and his assistant emailed me back straight away .

"WOW - he's great - thanks for sharing" (Michael Cole, Assistant to Stephen Schwartz); and

"Very cool, Pearl. And I got to link to some of the other WICKED stuff with the Oz cast. Thank you very much for sending this to me.

Best wishes,
Stephen Schwartz".

(The wonderful thing about youtube is that there are always other links to videos down the side of the screen so people can watch other work by the artist or similar artists.)

Then when watching Jewelchic's videos from the after party, Rob Guest mentioned that Stephen Schwartz had just been in contact and had seen Jewelchic's videos as well.

So I am really glad that he and his assistant had a chance to hear and watch our artists performing in Wicked (especially Anthony) and that they were really impressed and excited.

#202 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

Posted by Lea

Wicked Has No Plans to Depart the Regent
by Troy Dodds

Wicked will stay in Melbourne for all of 2009 and is making no plans to come to Sydney, producer John Frost has confirmed.

Despite rumours the show was planning a run at the Capitol Theatre from late next year, Frost says no plans have been made for a Sydney season and there is a major focus on keeping the show in Melbourne for as long as possible.

"We haven?t even talked about what we?re doing or where we are going after this," Frost said.

"I can?t see it moving from Melbourne inside the next 12 to 18 months. At the moment we are purely focused on reaching our first anniversary in July next year."

Despite tough economic times, Wicked continues to do big business at the box office with only limited tickets ? if that ? available for most performances.

"It has exceeded my expectations," Frost said.

"I think it has become very settled now and we?re getting the types of audiences who only go to the theatre once or twice a year. We?re also seeing a lot of return business."

Frost said there was a conscious effort to make the hit musical "Melbourne-centric".

"We are aggressively out there trying to be part of the Melbourne infrastructure as such," he said.

"Therefore we are seeing not only a strong response from locals but also a very good base of ticket-buyers from interstate."

Frost said Bert Newton?s arrival to the show as the Wizard had been warmly received by the cast, even though it was in tough circumstances following the loss of Rob Guest.

"Bert?s interpretation is different to everyone else and I think it?s been a shot in the arm for the cast," he said.

"I?m also excited about Stuart Fisher joining us as Boq. That said we would like to see Anthony come back and join the show again at some point in the next few years ? he?d certainly be welcome." Frost said the remainder of the principal cast are on long-term contracts and will certainly be with the show beyond the six month mark.

The American creative team arrive back in Melbourne next week to tighten up the show and ensure all is running smoothly.

#203 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:42 AM

Posted by Lea

Anthony Callea Leaves Wicked
Poprepublic Article

http://poprepublic.t...r...t&Itemid=50

The Australian presentation of Wicked has definately has its trails and tribulations over the past year with Rob Guest passing away and Bert Newton taking his place, but being the only cast member to have a limited 6 month contract (all other are rumoured to have 12), Chart Topper and POPrepublic.tv IT List Award winner, Anthony Callea is calling it a day as the cheeky munchkin, Boq.

Wicked will stay in Melbourne for all of 2009 and is making no plans to come to Sydney, producer John Frost has confirmed - and from the sounds of things, the musical is settling in for a very long season with the phrase "years" being thrown about.

Despite rumours the show was planning a run at the Capitol Theatre from late next year, Frost says no plans have been made for a Sydney season and there is a major focus on keeping the show in Melbourne for as long as possible.

Wicked in Australia has received strong reviews and plenty of interstate interest, and with newcomner, Stuart fisher taking over the role of Boq, the WAPPA graduate will be a shot in the arm for fellow cast members and will breathe new energy into the production.

"I?m also excited about Stuart Fisher joining us as Boq. That said we would like to see Anthony come back and join the show again at some point in the next few years ? he?d certainly be welcome." Frost said.

The American creative team arrive back in Melbourne next week to tighten up the show and ensure all is running smoothly.

No news as of yet if Anthony plans to return to the recording studio or what other projects are in the pipeline, but our PRTV gremlins are hard at work finding out for you - so stay tuned.

#204 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:44 AM

Posted by cugina

Platt's Wicked Trip
Sun Herald
By Catherine Lambert
21-12-2008

The international producer of Wicked, Marc Platt, is flying in to see the show again, not having seen it since the premiere last July.

Aside from planning to take his family to Queensland for a holiday while he's here, Platt is also keen to check out Bert Newton's performance as the Wizard.

Word is circulating Newton will soon reduce his performance schedule to six shows a week. The present commitment of eight shows a week is stretching the 70-year-old's energy levels.

#205 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:45 AM

Posted by Lea

WICKEDLY WONDERFUL YEAR:

http://www.aussiethe...kedtimeline.htm

It's been a massive year for Wicked at the Regent Theatre in Melbourne. Now, we look back on a tremendous 12 months.

Wicked timeline

December 8: 2008 has been a massive year for Wicked, one of the world's most successful musicals. As its success continued internationally, the show finally landed in Australia and it's been a spectacular ride at the Regent Theatre...

January 23: Despite the rumour mill working overtime, Wicked producer John Frost (pictured) confirms that casting has not yet been finalised for the blockbuster musical. Frost tells The Age that casting for the Australian premiere season should be confirmed shortly.

February 5: Lucy Durack and Amanda Harrison win the prize roles of Glinda and Elphaba in Wicked. Durack tells AussieTheatre.com from New York: "Words cannot describe how excited I am by this whole thing. I feel so lucky being given this opportunity, it is something I have wanted to do for so long and I am so very grateful." Harrison says: "I?ve worked for 15 years in this industry and done some amazing things but this is it ? this is the biggest thing I have ever done."

February 6: AussieTheatre.com exclusively reveals that Sydney-sider Penny McNamee has been cast as Nessa.

February 12: Rob Guest (The Wizard), Maggie Kirkpatrick (Morrible), Rob Mills (Fiyero) and Anthony Callea (Boq) join the cast.

February 13: Wicked takes an extraordinary $2.3 million in advance sales in just three hours, a new record for musical theatre in Australia.

April 14: The full cast is announced. In addition to the previously announced cast, it includes Rodney Dobson, Anton Berezin, Ross Hannaford, Anthony Costanzo, Todd Hampton, Ryan Sheppard, Danial J Brown, James Smith, Lockhart Brownlie, Michael Snell, Romina Villafranca, Deanna O'Leary, Liz Stiles, Christina Tan, Zoe Gertz, Patrice Tipoki, Melanie Hawkins, Ellen Simpson, Johanna Allen, James Maxfield, Glen Oliver, Matthew Hamilton, Emma Delmenico, Suzanne Steele and Suzie Mathers.

April 28: Wicked hits $7 million in advance sales.

April 29: Rob Mills (pictured) tells AussieTheatre.com that Wicked has been a three-year dream. He says: "I saw it and listened to the songs over and over again and absolutely loved it. I remember ringing my manager the next day and said I desperately wanted an audition. I?ve been in love with the show for three years and wanted to do the role from the day I first heard the recording."

June 8: A Wicked television special hosted by Rob Guest is filmed at Foxtel's North Ryde studios. It airs in early July ahead of the show's official opening in Melbourne.

June 27: Wicked plays its first preview performance at the Regent Theatre.

June 29: Drama emerges after illegal recordings from the first preview of the show are placed on internet sharing website You Tube.

July 10: Just days before opening, the show's producers confirm they will run a Broadway-style lottery system, giving cheap tickets away to performances on a daily basis.

July 12: Wicked opens in spectacular fashion in front of a sell-out audience at the Regent Theatre. The performance commences around 10 minutes late, at 7.10pm, but everything goes off without a hitch. The performance receives a standing ovation from the audience, who earlier walked the 'green carpet'.

July 12: One of the most spectacular opening night parties in Australian theatre history is held in Melbourne following the first official performance of the musical. The cast is given star treatment at the Sofitel, with theatre-goers partying into the early hours.

July 13: Jemma Stevenson replaces Amanda Harrison at the matinee performance of the musical.

July 18: Wicked co-producer John Frost says the reaction and box office success of the show has exceeded his "wildest expectations" as news comes through that the musical has broken the one-day box office record for Melbourne theatre.

August 31: The Wicked cast appear on Backyard Blitz in a special tribute to Lauren Huxley.

September 7: The cast appear at Hats Off in Melbourne, and it is announced they will perform at Light The Night in Sydney.

September 27: Amanda Harrison and Lucy Durack sing the National Anthem at one of the world's most prestigious sporting events, the AFL Grand Final.

September 30: Wicked star Rob Guest suffers a stroke at his Melbourne home, and is rushed to hospital. The legendary theatre actor is left to fight for his life.

October 1: The Australian theatre industry and the Wicked company are shocked by the death of Rob Guest. Tributes flow in as news of his passing makes headlines around the world. "Rob Guest is one of Australian music theatre?s biggest stars: there have been few bigger in our lifetime," John Frost says.

October 2: The Wicked cast return to the stage for the first time since Rob Guest's passing and deliver an emotion-filled performance.

October 10: A funeral is held for Rob Guest.

October 27: Bert Newton is announced as Rob Guest's replacement.

November 2: Wicked hits $30 million in sales.

November 26: Anthony Callea is the first principal cast member to announce his departure from the show. It's confirmed that Stuart Fisher will take over the role of Boq.

November 27: John Frost says the show has been so successful in Melbourne that it will probably stay at the Regent Theatre for another year at least.

#206 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:47 AM

Posted by Lea

Wicked's New Boq
AussieTheatre.com
26-11-2008

http://www.aussiethe...news.htm#stuart

Anthony Callea will leave Wicked shortly and is to be replaced by theatrical newcomer Stuart Fisher.

Fisher will begin working with the company next week, a production spokesperson has confirmed. He'll have wardrobe fittings and then begin rehearsals for the role of Boq.

A 2007 graduate of the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts, Wicked is Fisher's first major break.

Callea, a former Australian Idol contestant, made his theatrical debut in Wicked. A record-breaking pop star, Callea's casting ensured the show earned wider public recognition in its early stages.

Callea's departure is the second major cast change Wicked has faced so far. Bert Newton recently replaced Rob Guest as the Wizard, after Guest tragically died after suffering a massive stroke.

Stay tuned this weekend for some juicy Wicked details as producer John Frost talks one-on-one with Troy Dodds

#207 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

Posted by diissee

New Boq Choice
Herald Sun

http://i306.photobuc...ssee/img412.jpg

Stepping into the shoes of Anthony Callea in the role of Boq in Wicked is hard, but Stuart Fisher is ready.

Fisher, 25, of Perth, was formerly ranked in the top five in aerobic gymnastics in the world. He quit gymnastics to study theatre and drama. Like many Australian actors, including Hugh Jackman, Fisher trained at Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts before heading in the theatre world.

"I've spoken to Anthony and he has been great" Fisher said this week, as he continued rehearsals for his first big gig. Fisher graduated from WAAPA in 2007 before moving to Sydney last year and winning the role of Boq in Wicked. "It's such a great role and a fantastic character to explore, so I'm really looking foward to it," Fisher said. "I'm loving living in Melbourne."

As for Callea, he will explore music opportunities after a recent working holiday to New York. The last time Callea released an album of originals was in 2006.

Wicked continues to sell strongly and now that Melbourne has Billy Elliott, it is the only Australian city maintaining two world-class musicals at once.

#208 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:51 AM

Posted by Lea

Review - WICKED
DNA online issue 104

The musical Wicked recently opened in Melbourne at the Regent Theatre. Based on the novel by Gregory Maguire, the first half of the show depicts the early years of Elphaba, the Wicked Witch Of The West from The Wizard Of Oz. It beings with her being born green to the dismay and embarrassment of her family, her arrival at boarding school where she?s feared and bullied by the other students and, later, finding herself attracted to someone she?s not allowed to be with.

Intriguingly, the second half of the musical overlaps with the movie, depicting Elphaba?s death by bucket of water ? although it?s a slightly different version of events.

It sounds like a fairly whimsical premise but beneath the light entertainment facade is a powerful modern allegory. As Elphaba journeys to self-awareness she discovers a plot to enslave the animals of Oz (who could once speak but are now mute and kept in cages), and that the Wizard, who she once so admired, is responsible. Fearful of Elphaba?s natural magic the Wizard makes her public enemy number one and, with the help of a propagandist, so begins her career trajectory into ?wickedness?. If Wicked has a social conscience it?s one that champions a tolerant and inclusive society. It suggests that good people can do bad things, bad people can do good things, life has textures and ambiguities, and only newspaper headlines are black and white. When the teenage boy a few seats from us began sobbing during the final scenes, I realised how potent that message was.

In the first instance, Wicked is great entertainment, but it?s also very smart. As The Wizard Of Oz was cherished by generations of gay men, so Wicked deserves to resonate as powerfully for a new generation.

Gregory Maguire?s follow-up to Wicked is called Son Of A Witch, the story of Liir, an adolescent boy left behind in the ruins of Elphaba?s castle and, yes, it does contain some man-on-man action. Let?s hope that come to the stage soon!

Idol graduates Rob Mills and Anthony Callea feature as the handsome prince Fiyero and the Munchkin Boq respectively. Millsy sings up a storm and looks damn fine in a tight pair of pants. Anthony, too, is in fine voice but, well, he?s cast as a friggin? Munchkin! Somebody please give this man a decent role immediately.

Enjoy!

#209 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:53 AM

Posted by lea

Songwriters Hall of Fame to Honor Schwartz, MacDermot, Rado and Ragni
www.playbill.com
By Adam Hetrick
24-2-2009

http://www.playbill....cle/126653.html

Tony nominees Stephen Schwartz, Galt MacDermot, James Rado and the late Gerome Ragni will be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame on June 18.

In addition to Wicked composer Stephen Schwartz and Hair creators Galt MacDermot, James Rado and Gerome Ragni; the Songwriters Hall of Fame will also induct Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora; Felix Cavalieri and Eddie Brigati; Roger Cook and Roger Greenaway; and Crosby, Stills and Nash.

The June 18 induction ceremony at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in Manhattan marks the 40th anniversary of the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Featuring music by Galt MacDermot, with book and lyrics by Gerome Ragni and Jim Rado, Hair made its Tony-nominated Broadway debut in 1968, earning a Grammy Award for its original cast album. Songs from the popular musical have been recorded by Barbra Streisand, Liza Minnelli, Shirley Bassey, Diana Ross, Nina Simone, The Fifth Dimension, The Cowsills and Three Dog Night. A Broadway revival of Hair begins previews March 6.

Stephen Schwartz, a five-time Tony nominee for the scores of Pippin, Godspell, Working, Wicked and his lyrics for Rags, has earned Academy Awards for "Pocahontas" and "The Prince of Egypt." He also earned three Academy Award nominations for his work on "Enchanted." Schwartz also received Grammy Awards for the recordings of Wicked, Godspell and "Pocahontas."

Founded by Johnny Mercer, Abe Olman and Howie Richmond in 1969, the Songwriters Hall of Fame celebrates songwriters, educates the public with regard to their achievements, and produces a spectrum of professional programs devoted to the development of new songwriting talent through workshops, showcases and scholarships.

Previous inductees include Alan and Marilyn Bergman, Cy Coleman, Alan Menken, Richard and Robert Sherman, Burt Bacharach, Carole King, Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Billy Joel, Sir Elton John, Bernie Taupin, Brian Wilson and James Taylor.

#210 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:56 AM

Posted by seehorse

Wicked, CLOSING SOON!
From Management Service Entertainment:
www.mseevents.com.au
Regent Theatre - Melbourne

http://www.mseevents...p...3&Itemid=64

Wicked is finally here in Australia. The hottest musical in the world will open in July 2008. Wicked is one of the most successful shows in theatre history with combined box office sales of $US 1/2 billion.

Winner of 15 major awards including the Grammy Award and three Tony Awards, WICKED is the untold story of the witches of OZ. Long before Dorothy drops in, two other girls meet in the land of OZ. One, born with emerald green skin, is smart, fiery and misunderstood. The other is beautiful, ambitious and very popular. WICKED tells the story of their remarkable odyssey, how these two unlikely friends grow to become the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch.

It's been the top selling show on Broadway for over 140 consecutive weeks. Four months ago in London, it had the highest weekly gross in West End history!

We are pleased to present the following two options with our Wicked partner, The 5-star Westin Hotel. The Westin Hotel is located in the heart of the city's famous theatre district, and you'll be only steps away from The Regent. Combining stylish accommodation and warm, friendly service, you'll be guaranteed to enjoy a fantastic night!

#211 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:58 AM

Posted by diissee

Wicked Set To Cast Spell On Sydney
Daily Telegraph
By Stephen Downie
18-5-2009

http://i306.photobuc...ee/img434-1.jpg

#212 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:02 AM

Posted by Madrina
With thanks Lea

6-5-2010

It has just been announced on Sunrise that Tim Campbell is taking over the role of Fiyero from Rob Mills on 10th June.

Campbell Gets a Little Wicked
Sydney Star Observer

http://i41.tinypic.com/2q8qcgm.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users