• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

Posted by Lea

Whitney Houston and Tom Jones on the Way
Daile Pepper
30-11-2009

http://www.watoday.c...0k.html?page=-1

Tom Jones and Whitney Houston are both coming to Perth this summer.
Perth's bumper summer music season has been given another boost, with two of the world's biggest singers coming to town.

Rumours Whitney Houston was coming to town have turned out to be true, with the diva confirming two concerts at Member's Equity Stadium on March 6 and 7.

Get in the Houston pop diva mood with this video of her performing last week

The sex symbol with the booming vocals, Tom Jones, will rock the Swan Valley the following week when he performs with David Campbell at Sandalford Wines.

The announcements come hot on the heels of George Michael's confirmation of a performance in Perth, one of only two arena shows the pop sensation has planned for Australia.

It's the first time Houston has performed in Australia since her Moment of Truth hey day in 1988.

Having made one of the biggest career comebacks in music history, Houston will belt out much loved tunes including I will Always Love You, Saving All My Love for You, Greatest Love of All, I Wanna Dance With Somebody, Didn't We Have It All and How Will I Know.

Australian Idol singer Anthony Callea will join Houston on the Nothing But Love tour.

"There's not one person that wouldn't know the iconic singer, Whitney Houston," Callea said.

"Ever since I can remember, she has always been one of the finest vocalists around. Her true talent and powerful vocals are unique and have obviously passed the test of time."

Tom Jones will play Sandalford Winery on March 14, headlining A Day on the Green.

The charismatic star loved for his vocal power and energetic live performances, who has wowed audiences around the world for 40 years, is best known for hits including It's Not Unusual, Delilah and What's New, Pussycat? and released a new record this year.

The album, 24 Hours, which includes a song Sugar Daddy co-written with U2's Bono and a re-working of Bruce Springsteen's hit The Hitter.

Jones toured Australia in 2005 with John Farnham, but this tour will be his first Australian tour for 10 years.

Whitney tickets cost from $95 and are available through Ticketmaster.com.au from December 11.

Tickets to see Tom Jones are from $116 and go on sale through Ticketmaster.com.au on Monday December 7.

#23 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:20 AM

Posted by Lea

Idol: Sony signs Warner
TvTonight
By David Knox
29-11-2009

http://www.tvtonight...gns-warner.html

Australian Idol runner-up Hayley Warner has been signed to Sony Music following the show?s grand final last weekend.

The 17 year old ?rock chick? will release ?Good Day? as her first single, the song she revealed at Idol?s penultimate episode.

?I just want to hit while the iron is hot,? she told the Sunday Telegraph.

CEO Denis Handlin said, ?Hayley has great enthusiasm and energy and brings a unique performance style that the public have really responded to. We look forward to working with her on her first album which will be released in 2010.?

Idol runner ups have often fared better than those they were beaten by with Anthony Callea, Shannon Noll and Jessica Mauboy all second-place getters in the reality contest, but forging lasting careers. Others including Lisa Mitchell, Ricki Lee Coulter, Bobby Flynn, Paulini Curuenavuli, Rob Mills, Dan O?Connor and Carl Riseley have also had careers in the biz.

2007 Idol runner up Matt Corby is a finalist in the first Vanda & Young Songwriting Competition, with the winner to be announced on Tuesday.

#24 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:22 AM

Posted by diissee

Asmf Thanks Its Supporters
Adeliade Advertiser
November, 2009

Another successful string of sold-out events put on by the Advertiser Sunday Mail Foundation.

Last night VIP guests at the Intercontinental Hotel celebrated the foundation?s achievements, mingling with ASMF patron Angela Condous and Advertiser Newspapers managing director and ASMF chairman Michael Miller at the annual Sponsor Thank You Cocktail Party.

Six fabulous events this year brought talent such as the cast from Jersey Boys and Buddy Holly, Tim Watson, Anthony Callea, David Campbell, George Gross, Harry Watt, Nick Xenophon and more to entertain Adelaide.

This year the organisation raised more than $200,000 for 15 charities.
Angela, right, with events co-ordinator Phyllis Southgate, last night announced Phyllis was going into semi-retirement.

She is moving to the Gold Coast after a long and successful career in Adelaide.
Don?t fret, though, because next year is packed full of glamorous events, including the Clipsal Ladies Luncheon.

#25 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

Posted by diissee
Thanks to Pearl, Lea and Janelle.

Anthony Callea Announced as Vision Australia's Carols by Candlelight? Ambassador
Herald Sun
24-11-2009

http://www.visionaus...p...3&news=1442[/quote]

http://i306.photobuc...assador2009.jpg

Anthony Callea performing at Vision Australia's Carols by Candlelight? in 2007.
Aria Award-winning Anthony Callea is getting ready to tread the boards once again at Australia's most magical Christmas event - Vision Australia's Carols by Candlelight? presented by Myer

#26 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:28 AM

Posted by diissee

Whitney Houston Tour Dates
Local News
By Christian Taylor
29-12-2009

Whitney Houston, the ultimate soul-pop diva, has announced the dates for her upcoming Nothing But Love tour of Australia.

Whitney will be performing all of her greatest hits, along with new songs from her recent Top 10 album, I Look To You, and Anthony Callea will be her special guest.

Tickets go on sale from 9am on 11 December 2009. Mardi Gras have not confirmed if she will be performing as part of the 2010 season, however they are one of the tour?s presenting partners.

Whitney Houston dates are as follows:

Mon Feb 22 ? Entertainment Centre, Brisbane
Wed Feb 24 ? Acer Arena, Sydney
Sat Feb 27 ? Hope Estate, Hunter Valley
Mon Mar 1 ? Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne
Thurs Mar 4 ? Entertainment Centre, Adelaide
Sat Mar 6 ? ME Bank Stadium, Perth
Sun Mar 7 ? ME Bank Stadium, Perth

Ticket prices: Diamond ? $195, Gold ? $165, Silver ? $125 and GA (for Hope Estate only) ? $95.

#27 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

Posted by Pearl
With thanks to diissee

Mount Waverley Carols Liftout
Leader Newspaper
25-11-2009

http://i306.photobuc.../Picture2-6.jpg
http://i306.photobuc.../Picture1-7.jpg

http://i306.photobuc.../Picture5-1.jpg

http://i306.photobuc...icture4-1-1.jpg
http://i306.photobuc.../Picture3-1.jpg

#28 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:34 AM

Posted by the_voice

Christians Worship their Australian Idols
KARL QUINN
23-11-2009

It started with a gospel choir and ended with "thank you God". In between there was a redemption (Stan's), a trinity on high (the judges on their balcony), and a resurrection of sorts (the show will be back next year, despite its ratings decline).

Australian Idol came to its spectacular conclusion last night and, as ever, the Christian factor was in abundant evidence for those who cared to look for the signs.

Ever since former Planetshaker Guy Sebastian won the first Idol in 2003, there's been a hint of God-botheriness about proceedings. It peaked in 2006, when there were at least four Christians among the final 12, and erupted in controversy in October 2007 with claims of vote rigging to favour the Christian contestants.

This year, it's been there front and centre. The competition's winner, 18-year-old Stan Walker, is more overtly Christian than any contestant before.

On his Q & A on the Idol website, he answers the question "what's your favourite song and why?" with: Moving Forward by Israel Houghton because it's a declaration of in God we can move forward leaving our past behind."

Stan's past, as all Idol viewers know, includes some hard times. In an interview with the Salvation Army's Warcry, run under the headline "Stan?s our man", he outlined his troubled childhood in New Zealand. "We were brought up around gangs and were exposed to things that normal kids never ever see in their lifetime.

It was ugly and destructive. There was a lot of abuse happening and we were part of it. It affected my school life and my young teenagehood ? I?ve struggled all my life, really."

Stan's journey to redemption began when his mother relocated with her kids to Queensland (it really is heavenly up there). His father followed later, and then, Stan said, "a few years ago, they had an experience with God".

Of his experience on Idol, the former shop assistant said, "Now I am here doing what God wants me to do".

Last night, as a visibly stunned Walker claimed victory over 17-year-old pop-rock chick Hayley Warner (who no doubt also woke up this morning as a signed artist, given her massive appeal and fan base), Stan said, "I just want to thank God, man".

God and his army of SMS-enabled angels, that is.

The conspiracy theorists (and occasionally, I?ve been among them) like to imagine there's a massive bloc of organised Christian voters ringing and texting to ensure one of their own wins. And ? organised or not ? it's almost certainly the case that an avowedly Christian competitor attracts a lot of Christian votes.

The problem with the conspiracy theory is that it doesn't explain how a Casey Donovan or a Shannon Noll or an Anthony Callea or a Damien Leith or a Wes Carr ends up doing so well on the show.
The reality is, each contestant who does well does so because they've appealed to a particular constituency of voters, who then ring and/or text their support. That's why they're on the show in the first place ? yes, they can sing (well, most of them), but just as importantly, they've been cast to bring in the votes ? and, with it, the revenue.

(In 2004, I wrote this piece about the economics of the show. Just ignore the predictions about Casey Donovan's career; hey, I wasn't the only one who got it wrong.)

Idol appears to have learnt a few lessons over the years about inclusiveness. In 2006 ? a high-water mark for the show in some respects ? Bobby Flynn and Lisa Mitchell did well despite breaking the mold in terms of what constitutes an Idol contestant.

Having witnessed Anthony Callea's obvious struggle through his Idol run in 2004 as a closeted gay man, this year cowgirl Kate Cook was out as a lesbian from the earliest stages of the show. Yee-har for that.

The two singles written for this year's finalists were evidence that Idol has grown up, too. Rather than the one-size-fits-all power-ballad offering of past years, the tracks were tailored to the vastly different styles and audiences of Hayley and Stan.

The calibre of the guest judges was another sign that Idol was reaching out. Fall Out Boy, Good Charlotte, Liza Minelli, Michael Buble, Suzi Quattro: a more eclectic line-up you'd struggle to find, but all had something to offer, if only the sense that the world can accommodate all types.

Idol, in short, appears finally to have woken up to the fact that there isn't just one market out there, there are many, and the only way for the music business to survive is to cater to all of them.

Trouble is, there's one constituency the show has struggled to attract ? and that's viewers. Last week's semi-final drew a shade under a million people. The 2004 final, in which Casey Donovan and Anthony Callea duked it out, pulled 3.6 million.

So yes, Idol will be back next year. But unless all you atheists, agnostics and people of other faiths start watching and voting in droves, the Christians will be too.

Karl Quinn is the entertainment editor at The Age

#29 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:36 AM

Posted by anthem

Lucky Stan Walker Is The New Australian Idol
Undercover, by Paul Cashmere
23-11-2009

Stan Walker is Australia Idol V.7.

http://www.undercove...Australian_Idol

The New Zealand bred contestant tonight beat Hayley Warner to grab the Australian Idol title, not that that is a good thing considering the past history of Idol and latter successors of ?losers? Anthony Callea and Jessica Mauboy.

Losing idol and coming second in Idol for Callea and Mauboy proved to be a greater prize than first place. Walker will have to suffer the ?paint by numbers? debut release of the ?Black Box? single followed by a vanilla Winners album.

Warner now has the opportunity to go into the studio and like Callea and Mauboy before her, create a work that is indicative of her own style away.

Anthony Callea found his true style was not in the Idol cookie-cutter format but better suited to the theatre. Likewise, Rob Mills has found success in theatre instead of the pop world. Jessica Mauboy fitted R&B rather than manufactured pop while original Australian Idol Gut Sebastian rediscovered his real talents in soul on his Memphis album and drew on those influences for his return to pop on the recent ?Like it Like That?.

Stan Walker basically won a challenge. Hayley Warner won a future.

Winning Australian Idol has only ever been about winning fame. It has never been about winning respect. Guy Sebastian, Jessica Mauboy, Anthony Callea had to earn their respect after Idol. 2006 winner Damien Leith is still struggling to find his despite beating Jessica Mauboy.

2008 winner Wes Carr, who had a credible musical background with Silverchair?s Ben Gillies in Tambalane is generating respect on the road currently with Cold Chisel?s Ian Moss. At least he had a history to draw from.

It is going to be hard for Stan Walker. He really does have a challenge ahead.

#30 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

Posted by diissee

For Wannabe Idols, There is a Second Prize
The Age
John Mangan
22-11-2009

http://www.theage.co...ge#contentSwap1

Coming second may have been a help to Mauboy, says Paul Cashmere, chief of the Undercover music website. ''Coming in No. 2 takes the focus and pressure off the act and recording,'' he says. ''She had more opportunity to be herself, and like Anthony Callea (also an Idol runner-up), found her comfort zone. Jessica got to be Jessica from the start.''

#31 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:43 AM

Posted by diissee

Tim Signs for Crows? Big Night
Sunday Mail State Edition
Matt Gilbertson
22-11-2009

WE all make mistakes and last week I made my first . . . ever. In an article about Adelaide Fashion Week, I mentioned that David Campbell was hosting when it was actually fellow singer/actor Tim Campbell.

??It does happen a fair bit. I played Johnny O?Keefe in Shout after him, so he will probably think I?m stalking him a little bit,?? Tim joked.

??David?s former manager actually told me once he had people ringing him and asking to book me for gigs, and he would say ?Tim?s great but you know who you should get, David Campbell.? So we?ve been mistaken both ways.??

While Tim, not David, was in town with his hosting duties for Fashion Week in Norwood, he was also preparing himself for the fourth annual Crows Foundation Christmas Carols.

They will be held in the new Crows Training & Entertainment Facility on Tuesday, December 15.

??For me, Adelaide is not so much the Festival State as it is the Festive State, because every Christmas I?m always here doing something,?? he said.

??I did the carols at Elder Park for about three years, then last year I did The Proms and now I?m back for the next big Christmas show.
??Having a look at the venue now, I really believe this will be the next big Christmas event in Adelaide.??

Christmas is shaping up to be pretty full-on for Tim this year, when he and boyfriend Anthony Callea are hosting their first family Christmas together.

??My parents are coming down from Sydney to spend Christmas Day with us, so we?ll see how we go,?? he said.

??To be honest we might just palm it off to Anthony?s parents ? the Italians are absolutely great with the food.??

Tim is also reprising his role at Melbourne?s Carols by Candlelight, where he sang for the first time in 2008.

??Anth and I were actually one of the last ones to leave last year,?? Tim joked. Anthony has been appointed ambassador for this year?s event.

#32 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

Posted by diissee

WELCOME to part three of the news.com.au Noughties mixtape.

http://www.news.com....5019258,00.html

http://i306.photobuc.../0716768500.jpg

In part one, Aussie breakouts, we named our top 10 homegrown heroes. In part two, Hits and flops, we named the five best and five worst songs of the Noughties.

In part three, Top of the pops, we name the biggest selling track of each year of the decade and ask: what on earth where we thinking?

TOPPING the charts doesn't always mean being number one.

Artists like Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, Coldplay and U2 sell out stadiums almost instantly, yet can't seem to crack the top spot in the Australian charts.

In this decade, only Eminem and Fergie/Black Eyed Peas have been able to maintain a level of success beyond a popular single, but Eminem was at the peak of his popularity before a destructive personal life pushed him out of the limelight.

Australian Idol epitomised this moment-of-glory stance, producing three years of No.1 "touchdowns" before dropping the ball in the second half of the Noughties.

Maybe more than anything, this says being successful for a single track is a curse rather than a blessing.

These were the top selling singles for the Noughties by year.

The Australian Idol juggernaught kept on rolling in '05, and the diminuitive dynamo from Melbourne did not disappoint after wowing audiences with his rendition of Celine Dion and Anthony Bocceli's The Prayer.

Anthony Callea made it the third year in a row an Idol contestant topped the pile, and his cover became the highest and fastest selling single in Australian history.? The Prayer was widely praised as one of the most magical performances ever on the show, with fans picking up over 280,000 copies of the song in record time.
Interestingly, it continued the trend of Idol runner-ups being more successful than the winners of the reality TV series.

#33 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:53 AM

Posted by Lea

Stan Walker is the Bookies' Man for Australian Idol Final

http://www.heraldsun...o-1225797512229

STAN Walker is a short-priced favourite to win this year's Australian Idol as the Channel 10 reality show counts down to its November 22 grand final.

Betting agency Betfair has Walker at $2.34 against Hayley Warner ($3.88) and outsider James Johnston ($12). One of the three will be eliminated on tomorrow's show.

This year's winner will receive a recording and management contract, a car and a $200,000 artist development fund.

"You never know what is going to happen but if it happens I'm ready to embrace it and start making a career of it," Walker said yesterday.

History shows that winning Australian Idol isn't always best for a long-term singing career.

2003 winner Guy Sebastian's career continues to flourish but many of the other Idol success stories - including Shannon Noll, Anthony Callea and Jessica Mauboy - came second.

Any winner has to rush an album into shops to exploit his or her newfound popularity - and quality can suffer.

2006 winner Damien Leith recently had to sell his car to pay the rent despite selling more than $5 million worth of records.

Winner's Journey album.

2004 winner Casey Donovan released one album before she was dropped by SonyBMG.

Kate DeAraugo (2005) and Natalie Gauci (2007) are two other winners whose careers misfired.

"Winning Australian Idol definitely opened many doors for me," DeAraugo said. "But once they are open you have to make sure they stay open, and work at it."

Callea and Rob Mills have established solid careers on stage in shows including Wicked.

Last year's winner Wes Carr's first single, You, reached No. 1 on the ARIA charts but only two people turned up to one of his concerts a fortnight ago.

Walker is adamant that winning Idol is a major boost for anyone's music career.

"It is pretty important because you have a great advantage with money to help build your future and a contract. It's a blessing and an opportunity," he said.

Johnston says anyone who makes the final 12 has a money-can't-buy experience that can only boost their career prospects.

"One of the biggest things Idol has done for me is clear up my music style. That acoustic pop-rock style is where I'm heading now," Johnston said.

2006 contestant Lisa Mitchell, who took more than two years to produce her critically acclaimed album, Wonder, criticised Idol recently.

"I think they (Idol) have different values," Mitchell said. "Judging music, it's a bit s--- really, that whole judging panel."

Walker disagreed, and said the judges were instrumental in him making it to the final three. "I don't think they've been harsh at all. It's good to be told things. I take every comment as a challenge to get better," he said.

#34 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

Posted by Lea

Donna Demaio's Gossip

http://www.3aw.com.a...91111-i9kf.html

Singer Anthony Callea is looking forward to giving back to the community, after being appointed Ambassador for Carols by Candlelight for the second time. He will do a month of charity work in the lead up to the star-studded carols event.

#35 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:58 AM

Posted by Lea

Stars Will Shine at Mt Waverley Carols
by Emma Schmidt

http://waverley-lead...averley-carols/

JOY to the world - - the Mt Waverley Carols is just around the corner, and this year Anthony Callea, Patti Newton and Silvie Paladino will be there.

The annual Christmas carols event on December 5 will be a fantastic introduction to the festive season, with more than 2000 people expected to attend.

This year the committee chose big-name stars to help entertain the increasing crowds, with the 80-piece Camberwell Chorale and orchestra also on hand to lead the singing.

Patti Newton will return as MC for the night, and the musical director of the Sidney Myer Music Bowl Carols by Candlelight, Douglas Heywood, will be directing the show.

Originally just an event put on by the Mt Waverley Village traders, the carols has now expanded to include the whole of Mt Waverley.

Executive producer Matthew Clark said he was very excited for the event, and had been planning it since January.

?It?s a great community event for the area, and it is going to be a great performance,? Mr Clark said.

?We are looking forward to Anthony and Silvie and we think they are going to do a great job.?

**The Mt Waverley Carols will be held on December 5 in the car park of Mt Waverley Village, off Winbourne Rd. Gates open at 6.30pm for a 7.30pm start. Bring your own seating. **

#36 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

Posted by diissee

Twitter of the Week
The Sunday Telegraph Hush
Ros Reines
8-11-2009

http://i306.photobuc...ssee/img465.jpg

#37 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

Posted by Poppy
With thanks diissee

Champion Deal
Sunday Herald Sun
Luke Denehy
8-11-2009

http://i306.photobuc...hampionDeal.jpg

Anthony 
post Nov 8 2009, 10:09 AM

Before we all jump to conclusions..... as if I would do an album without a ballad or 3! You know I love performing them!

The main thing is, 2010 will be a massive year!. With Champo on board this will be the most exciting album and year by far!

Seatbelts on Acofians!

#38 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:07 AM

Posted by diissee

F Word Just An Entree
7TWO schedule - TV Tonight
By David Knox
6-11-2009

http://www.tvtonight...TWO-081109E.doc

One of the more curious additions to the 7TWO schedule is a local version of The F Word starring Matt Moran.

As one of the few local shows on the channel, it airs tonight at 8:30pm. Each week, top chef Matt Moran will work with an amateur team of cooks to put together a menu to feed fifty people. Tonight it includes, presumably as dining guests, singer Jade Macrae and Shane Jacobsen.

It helps to have an ?off-Broadway? style channel when some projects just don?t work out. The show will only air four times -a surprisingly small number when MasterChef had been so huge for TEN.

Next week it has Anthony Callea and Wil Traval then Human Nature?s Phil Burton and David Campbell on November 13th.

It ends on November 27 with Saturday Disney?s Shae Brewster and Sally Stanton, plus Will Traval, Andrew Supanz and Ada Nicodemou.

Seven?s Tim Worner recently told MediaWeek Moran is a great communicator and chef, and denied a report he walked out on My Kitchen Rules.

But maybe things got too hot in the The F Word kitchen?

name='Lea' date='Aug 27 2007, 05:45 PM' post='1241130'
user posted image

user posted image

http://pickos.blogsp...01_archive.html

Anthony 
post Nov 7 2009, 11:01 AM

They filmed this a few years ago now....

#39 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

Posted by Sue
With thanks diissee

Great Mates: Anthony Callea with Vicky IIiopoulos.
Sunday Herald Sun
1-11-2009

http://i306.photobuc...nthVicki2-1.jpg

Full section

http://i306.photobuc...e/AnthVicki.jpg

#40 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

Posted by diissee

Riverside Gets Racy
The Sunday Age , About Town
1-11-2009

http://i306.photobuc.../AnthVicki3.jpg

Theres also a little picture of Vicky and Anthony, but its a bit blurry.

http://i306.photobuc...hVicki4-1-1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users