• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:08 AM

Posted by Lea

Thousands Expected at Concerts
The Queensland Times
26-11-2010

http://www.qt.com.au...hristmas-carols

With less than a month to go before Christmas, thousands are set to get into the spirit this weekend at two festively themed events.

Close to 4000 people are expected to flock to Suttons Park tonight to enjoy Brassall’s Christmas in the Park.

Councillor Cheryl Bromage said the relaxed evening would allow residents from across Ipswich to go along and celebrate the festive season with fun and song.

The night will include performances by Thomas Doherty from the smash-hit musical Billy Elliott and the outstanding rhythms and melodies of the RSL Youth Band.

The fun starts from 6pm, with Santa Claus visiting about 7pm.

Tomorrow night locals can enjoy the vocal stylings of Australian Idol star Anthony Callea, who will perform as part of The Mayor’s Christmas Carols.

Sponsored by The Queensland Times, the carols will be held at the Ipswich Turf Club.

From 5pm, people can enjoy free children’s rides and face painting, with the concert from 6pm.

On the night, entertainment will also include the Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa Show, performances from local groups such as the Blackstone-Ipswich Cambrian Choir and the Ipswich City Orchestra and a spectacular fireworks finale from 8.45pm.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#62 Zia

Zia

Ave Maria

• Admin
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:13 AM

Posted by Diissee

Idol Stars - Where Are They? - these ones remain on the Radar long after 'touchdown moments'.
part of a Jessica Mauboy interview)
New Weekly
December 2010

http://i53.tinypic.com/2dqvpg3.jpg
Posted Image
Posted Image

#63 Zia

Zia

Ave Maria

• Admin
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:17 AM

Posted by Diissee

Vision Australia Performers Announced.
Entertainers
Vision Australia's Carols by Candlelight®

http://www.visionaus....aspx?page=1186

Preparations are well underway for this year's Vision Australia's Carols by Candlelight® and as usual we look forward to welcoming an array of top entertainers to perform a mix of the season's contemporary and traditional favourite Carols, that will be sure to delight the whole family.
Many distinguished musicians and artists will be donating their time to support this year's event. Updates and amendments will be posted to this page as soon as they become available.[/color]

Artists (in no particular order)

Karl Stefanovic and Lisa Wilkinson
John Foreman
Ricki-Lee
Anthony Callea
Kate Ceberano
The McClymonts
Rachael Beck & Ian Stenlake
Rob Mills
Mark Vincent
Denis Walter
Rhonda Burchmore
Tommy Emmanuel
Cast of Hairspray
Cast of Mary Poppins
Lucy Durack and Jemma Rix (Wicked)
String Diva
Doug Parkinson
Michael Cormick
Julie Goodwin
Marina Prior
Sylvie Paladino
David Hobson
Hi-5
Humphrey B Bear
Terry Gill
AGC
NBCA
Doug Heywood
Posted Image
Posted Image

#64 Zia

Zia

Ave Maria

• Admin
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:23 AM

Posted by Diissee

Carols By Candlelight- Stars Share their Favourite Tunes
Womans Day
December 2010

http://i52.tinypic.com/2enp4ds.jpg

Anthony Callea
"Give me a good ol' Jingle Bell rock any day - especially when it comes on while I'm shopping for groceries at the supermarket. The trolley and I do a beautiful Christmas jive."
Posted Image
Posted Image

#65 Zia

Zia

Ave Maria

• Admin
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:28 AM

Posted by the_voice

Star is Born
Local News1
1-12-2010
by Staff writer

SOUTHWEST: The national spotlight beckons Forest Lake singing sensation Mali Talefenua after the 17-year-old won Ipswich Central’s A Star Is Born singing competition last week.

After reaching the top 60 of Australian Idol last year, Talefenua (pictured) will now have the chance to rub shoulders with national stars Anthony Callea and Deni Hines when he performs at Mayor Paul Pisasale’s Christmas Carols by Candlelight on Saturday.

With a musical career already spanning 10 years, the Centenary State High School graduate believes his passion for music will take him to the top.

``I want to end up in Hollywood and be up there with all the big stars like Usher and Michael Jackson. Performing is what I love and it’s what I want to do for the rest of my life,’’ the RnB singer said

The Centenary State High School graduate He is also excited about performing with big stars.

``(Idol) was an amazing experience. Anyone who goes for that show and gets that far, you get a feeling of accomplishment.’‘

The Centenary State High School graduate said he was itching to take to the stage on Saturday, adding his drive to succeed was not for personal satisfaction only.

``To perform with someone like that (Callea and Hines) is amazing. I just thank God I have been given the opportunity.

``I don’t want to do this just for myself, I want to do this for my family. I want to help people express what they have.’’
Posted Image
Posted Image

#66 Zia

Zia

Ave Maria

• Admin
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:31 AM

Posted by Lea

Theatre Stars to Light up Carols Events
Written by Troy Dodds
14-12-2010

http://www.aussiethe...neral&Itemid=67

A host of musical theatre stars will take part in Carols by Candlelight in Melbourne on Christmas Eve.

Channel Nine, who broadcasts the event, confirmed today that the casts of Mary Poppins, Hairspray and Wicked would all perform on the night.

Other theatre stars appearing include Rob Mills, Anthony Callea, Marina Prior and Rachael Beck.

Now in its 73rd year, Vision Australia’s Carols by Candlelight has become a tradition for households throughout Australia.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#67 Zia

Zia

Ave Maria

• Admin
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:34 AM

Posted by Lea

Vision Australia's Carols By Candlelight
Channel 9 News

http://www.throng.co...ecember-24-nine

Join TODAY show hosts Karl Stefanovic and Lisa Wilkinson on Christmas Eve as they present Vision Australia’s Carols by Candlelight, a show for the whole family to enjoy.

The evening will be broadcast live from Melbourne’s Sidney Myer Music Bowl on Friday, December 24, from 8.00pm on Channel Nine – a concert full of everyone’s favourite Christmas carols featuring some of Australia’s favourite performers.

Joining the TODAY hosts will be Carols by Candlelight ambassador Ricki-Lee Coulter.

“My most vivid memories of Christmas as a kid were watching Carols by Candlelight with the family and wishing it was me up there on that stage, and this year my wish will come true. I am beyond excited,” she said.

Now in its 73rd year, Vision Australia’s Carols by Candlelight has become a tradition for households throughout Australia.

Audiences will be treated to performances by Kate Ceberano, Rob Mills, Anthony Callea,Marina Prior and David Hobson, who will each perform a selection of all-time Christmas favourites.

The Music Bowl will be set alight by the sensationally talented casts of Mary Poppins, Hairspray and Wicked, all bringing their unique style of music theatre to the night.

Making it a family affair will be country music’s singing sisters, The McClymonts, as well as Sea Patrol’s Ian Stenlake with his wife Rachael Beck.

Children’s favourites Hi-5 and Humphrey B. Bear will keep the little ones entertained.

No night of carols would be complete without a visit from Santa, taking time out from his busy schedule to make a special appearance at the Music Bowl.

Carols by Candlelight will again be conducted under the guidance of John Foreman, who is returning for his eighth year as musical director and his second as one of the show’s producers.

Vision Australia’s Carols by Candlelight

Sidney Myer Music Bowl

Friday, December 24, at 8.00pm on Channel Nine
Posted Image
Posted Image

#68 Zia

Zia

Ave Maria

• Admin
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:38 AM

Posted by Lea

Idol Graduates Join Carols All-Stars
Herald Sun
16-12-2010

http://www.heraldsun...a-1225971740672

http://i56.tinypic.com/2052mgz.jpg
Posted Image
Posted Image

#69 Zia

Zia

Ave Maria

• Admin
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:44 AM

Posted by Diissee

Willing Traveller ( Karl Stefanovic) Carols By Candlelight
Sunday TV Guides
December 2010

http://i53.tinypic.com/dvoo0g.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/osr8s7.jpg

Karl sings by Candlelight
Sunday Herald Sun
Written by Richard Clune
19-12-2010

KARL Stefanovic's dedication to Carols by Candlelight cannot be denied. To again host the event he will travel more than 14 hours to Melbourne.

"I love Carols that much that I am flying back to do them from the States where I'll be on holidays with the family," Stefanovic says.

"I fly in that day and then wake up on Christmas Day in Melbourne, before getting back on the plane to LA where I get a second Christmas with (wife) Cassie and the kids (Jackson, 10, Ava, 5, and River, 3)."

Since 2008, Stefanovic and Lisa Wilkinson have led live and televised audiences through what is an Australian small-screen staple.

Both speak with an honest passion for the event, which was previously hosted by Ray Martin.

"I understand why Ray did it for so long, it really is a lot of fun," Wilkinson says.

For Stefanovic, Carols heralds the true start of the festive period.

"Lisa and I love it, we really do. It's the time of the year you really know Christmas is happening and it's a great experience to be there out the front leading people who are there as well as everyone at home,'' he says.

"And Melbourne comes alive for the Carols, there's a wonderful family feeling and it's just a privilege to be able to share that with everyone."

This year, Wilkinson and Stefanovic will be joined on the Sidney Myer Music Bowl by Kate Ceberano, Marina Prior, Rob Mills and Anthony Callea, as well as The McClymonts and husband and wife entertainers Ian Stenlake and Rachael Beck. Added treats for the little ones will include appearances by Humphrey B. Bear and Hi-5.

Beyond Carols, Stefanovic says Christmas is all about Bing Crosby.

"I am a nutter for Bing and I have his whole catalogue on a loop. I play that relentlessly though the Christmas period and into Boxing Day," he says.

Surely such activity is akin to child abuse?

"Yeah, it's very daggy and very 'Oh dad', but they just need to suck it up. If you have to be punished by Bing then so be it, I am sure they will do it to their kids."

That said, avid AC/DC fan Stefanovic says he would happily do without Crosby if his favourite rockers brought out a heavy Christmas album.

"It's about the only thing they haven't done," he says. "When they realise they haven't made enough this year, in terms of millions, and that they need to make a Christmas album, I'll be there front of the queue to get that."

CAROLS BY CANDLELIGHT, Friday 8pm, Nine
Posted Image
Posted Image

#70 Zia

Zia

Ave Maria

• Admin
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:58 AM

The Night Sparkles with Joy
Herald Sun
25-12-2010 2010

http://www.heraldsun...6-1225976021268

THOUSANDS of carollers gathered at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl for Melbourne’s annual Carols by Candlelight last night.

A sea of red Santa hats, candlelight and balmy weather combined for perfect conditions as some of Australia’s best known singers took to the stage.

Anthony Callea opened the night with O Come All Ye Faithful before stars including Ricki-Lee Coulter, Kate Ceberano, Hi-5, Humphrey B Bear and even the cast of Hairspray performed carols from Jingle Bells to Joy to the World before the whole cast returned to the stage to perform We Wish You a Merry Christmas.

Hosted by Today show duo, Karl Stefanovik and Lisa Wilkinson, the charity event attracted a sellout crowd of 10,000 people and saw over $100,000 raised for Vision Australia, with hopes the tally would reach $150,000 as counting continued after the night concluded.

Performances by Humphrey and Hi-5 had children dancing on the lawn, in their seats and on their parent’s laps.

But the big draw card for the night was Santa Claus who stopped off on his round the world trip delivering presents to wish everyone a merry Christmas.

The Herron family were lucky to be among the crowd last night after battling to make sure eight-month-old Joshua made it to Christmas.

Parents Susie and Damien have had to endure their son being revived 19 times since he was born earlier this year.

An undiagnosed condition similar to sleep apnoea causes Joshua to stop breathing and meant that even as his mum and dad sang along he had to remain connected to a small neonatal respiratory monitor to alert them if he stopped breathing amid the festivities.

And while the little battler had to be taken straight to intensive care when he was born, the tiny tot appeared to have left his hard start to life behind as he watched the early festivities wide eyed and oblivious to the significance it had for his parents.

"The biggest dream I have ever had for my baby was to come to Carols by Candlelight,” Susie said.

"It's just absolutely amazing.”

The Rosanna family would have struggled to make it to the event were it not for an invitation from Vision Australia, which had particularly moved long time home viewer Susie.

"I always used to watch with my nan at home, so this is a real dream to be here,” she said.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#71 Zia

Zia

Ave Maria

• Admin
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:04 AM

Posted by Lea

Anthony's Carols by Candlelight Souvenir Program Write Up
From Vision Australia's Offical Program
December 2010

http://www.visionaus...gram_lowres.pdf

Posted Image

and from the Herald Sun Gallery
25-12-2010

http://www.heraldsun...76018523?page=1

http://i56.tinypic.com/28l703d.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/nzpxjq.jpg

Anthony Callea and Rob Mills
http://i53.tinypic.com/25ulcnk.jpg
Posted Image
Posted Image

#72 Zia

Zia

Ave Maria

• Admin
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

Posted by BubblesLuvsAnthony
Thank you for typing the article.

Callea's Keen To Embrace Carols' Vibe
From The Queensland Times Carols Booklet
27-11-2010

http://i55.tinypic.com/14ale6r.jpg

One of Australia's favourite performer Anthony Callea cannot wait to indulge in the Christmas festivities this year and delight Ipswich fans with some fun carols. Callea, 27, has been eagerly looking forward to singing at Ipswich with the crowd favourites "Santa Clause Is Coming To Town" & "Have Your Self A Merry Little Christmas" on the menu.

The 2004 Australian Idol contestant said he loved spending time with family and friends over Christmas, as it was the time of year he could take time out to catch up and have a few laughs. My favourite thing about Christmas is the food- it's the one day you can indulge with out feeling guilty, pass me another slice of Tiramisu please! Callea said.

Callea said performing at community carols was one of his favourite things to do at Christmas, "You can feel all the love in the crowd and the vision of a sea of candles from the stages is amazing", he said. "I find that community carols have a genuine special vibe about them. "I love that friends and family all come together and the best thing about it is you don't need to drive far to get home afterwards!".

Callea said he hoped people would sing-along to his performance and have an enjoyable night. Callea's debut single "The Prayer" topped this charts for an amazing five weeks in 2004/5. Not only did this become the highest and fastest selling single of all time by and Australian artist, but also earned the singer a much coveted ARIA Award.

Callea's self-titled, multi-platinum debut album hit number one on the Aria Charts and spawned four top-10 hits. If that record showcased his voice, his second album "A New Chapter" also showcased his song writing skill and clocked up another top-10 slot, indeed everything he had released has charted in the top-20 in Australia.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#73 Zia

Zia

Ave Maria

• Admin
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

Posted by BubblesLuvsAnthony
Thankyou for typing the article.

The Versatile MR CALLEA
The Queensland Times
November 2010

http://i53.tinypic.com/2py7wpv.jpg

One of Australia's most successful young performers Anthony Callea will bring his versatile voice to Ipswich next week. Callea has performed for a host of dignitaries including her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and next Saturday he will sing a couple of his favourite Christmas carols at Ipswich. The 27-year-old took some time out from his busy touring schedule in the US to speak to The Queensland Times about his journey so far.

Callea began singing at the age of five but was introduced to the country in 2004 after being the runner-up on Channel 10's Australian Idol. And six years later, Callea said he would not want to change a thing about his Idol experience. "Idol gave me the platform that I had been working towards for many years, and I would not change anything," Callea said.

"I learnt so much in that three months and it was a crash course in what was to come". But while the show propelled him to stardom, Callea is certainly not a newcomer to the stage. "From about the age of nine, I started performing not just in a few talent quests(thanks mum!) but as part of a performance troop," Callea said.

"From festivals to 'corporates' and doing character suit work, it's experience that is invaluable and their skills that stay with you for the rest of your life as a performer." Callea's varied experience has see him work across genres, including a stint as "Boq" in the premier Melbourne season of hit musical Wicked to critical acclaim.

And his 27 years, he has certainly made his mark on some very notable people. Callea has appeared as a special guest for international superstars including "Diana Ross, Westlife, Celine Dion and Whitney Houston. When asked about the performances, Callea said they were simply "amazing". "it really was!" he said. "Meeting the likes of Whitney and Celine was a real treat, especially when you have grown up listening to their music and admiring what they have achieved," he said.

"Both were extremely lovely and, I will be honest... I may have let out a little squeal after meeting them for the first time." Calla has also performed for a host of international dignitaries including the late Luciano Pavarotti, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Frederik and Princess Mary of Denmark. He said meeting Pavarotti was one of the most memorable moments of his life.

"I was flown to Perth to sing for him and about 100 invited guests," he said, "It was straight after his concert where they put on a supper in a beautiful marquee and there I was, singing right in front of him- talk about nerve-racking!" Callea decided to publicly announce he was gay in 2007- a move which Justice Michael Kirby responded to by describing him as an "admirable Australian".

The singer said making the acknowledgment public "felt like a weight off my shoulders". "For every person they have their own journey and its something that is quite personal," he said. "In 2007 I got to a point that I was happy and comfortable with who I was and was able to acknowledge it publicly."

Callea will perform at this year's Mayor's Christmas Carols on Saturday, November 27th.
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users